Is it Mandatory for Small Businesses to have FSSAI License?
Yes, it is mandatory to obtain FSSAI License for small businesses in India who are involved in manufacturing or selling food products. FSSAI is an organization that supervises and controlled food businesses in India. There are three different types of FSSAI Registration in India: basic FSSAI Registration, the second is the State FSSAI Registration, and the last one is Central FSSAI Registration. Where all the small food businesses in India have to acquire Basic FASSIC Registration because for this registration, the annual turnover of a food business should be not more than Rs. 12 lakhs. So, every FBO or Food Business Operator in India involved in processing, manufacturing, and distribution must mandatorily obtain Basic FASSI Registration or FSSAI License for small businesses in India. Scroll down to check more information regarding FSSAI License for small businesses in India.
Benefits of Basic FSSAI License/Registration in India
Following are some benefits of FSSAI license for small businesses in India:
- This License provides food safety and security.
- Consumer Awareness.
- Legal benefits.
- Build consideration.
- With the help of this License, you can spread your food business across the globe in the future.
- Imported food can be manufactured and regulated.
What are the Requirements of FSSAI License for Small Businesses in India?
FSSAI Registration is a basic license, and it is needed for all the food business operator involved in the small business. This group of food business covers the following points:
- Any food business operator in India with a turnover of not more than Rs. 12 lakh per annum.
- Small retailer dealing in food products.
- Small industries dealing in the food business and the following:
- Food production capacity up to 100 kg/litre per day.
- Handling and collection of milk up to 500 litres per day.
- Slaughtering capacity up to two large animals/50 poultry birds/10 small animals per day or may be less.
- Any individual who sells/manufactures any food products by himself.
- Sale of food is made by the temporary stallholder.
- Any person who distributes food in any social gathering except a caterer.
Vital Documents Required for Basic FSSAI License for Small Businesses in India
Following are some vital documents required for Basic FSSAI License for Small Businesses in India:
- Submit the latest passport-sized photographs of the food business operator.
- Submit any identity proof of the FBO such as PAN Card, Aadhar Card, Ration Card, Driving License, Senior Citizen Card, Voter’s ID card, Ration Card, etc.
- A detailed list of products planned.
- Duly signed and completed Form-B.
- COI (Certificate of Incorporation) / Memorandum of Association (MOA) / Partnership Deed / Articles of Association (AOA).
- Premises proof such as Rental Agreement, etc.
- Form IX.
- List of all the directors and partners.
- Sources of raw materials.
- The layout of Food Safety Management System.
- Water Test Reports.
- List of equipment.
- Submit any supporting documents such as NOC or No Objection Certificate by Panchayat, Health NOC.
- IEC Code.
Procedure for Basic FSSAI Registration or License in India
Following is the step by step process of Basic FSSAI License for small businesses in India:
- The Basic FSSAI Registration is only for small food business operators in India. They can register by themselves with the RA or Registering Authority by submitting an application for the purpose of registration and a fee of Rs. 100/-.
- Application Form-A has to be filed with Rs. 100/- fee.
- Once you submit the application form along with the fee, you will get a unique ARN (Application Reference Number).
- After receiving ARN, the Registering Authority may accept or reject the registration. The reasons are recorded in writing within seven days of application receipt registered by the food business operator.
- If the proposal for registration gets approved, the food business operation can start their food business.
- If required, the Registering Authority will issue a notice regarding an inspection.
- The inspection will be conducted within seven days.
- If the inspection is approved, then the inspection will be completed within thirty days.
- Once the registration process is over, then it can be taken forward, and the food business operator may begin the operations.
Renewal of FSSAI License in India
In India, the FSSAI License for small businesses is compulsory to begin the food business; similarly, it is also compulsory to FSSAI License Renewal for small businesses in India. This License is delivered for a validity of one to five years, so the food business must apply for the renewal before thirty days to expire the current food license. FSSAI has introduced an online application known as Food Licensing and Registration System (FLRS), so food businesses in India can apply online for the License. This system is applied in five different regional offices in India for the issuance of licenses, and they are:
- New Delhi.
- Mumbai and Kerala.
What are the Consequences of Non – Compliance?
Any registered individual under the FSSAI has to follow all the rules and regulations prescribed under the FSS Act, 2006. Food Safety Office is normally conducting an inspection and recognizes the level of compliance with the regulations. Based on the level of compliance, the Food Safety Officer marks it as:
- Compliance (C).
- Partial Compliance (PC).
- Non-compliance (NC).
- Not Applicable (NA).
Based on these, the office may issue an improvement notice wherever needed as per Section 32 of the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006. In case the food business operator fails to comply with the notice, then the office may cancel his or her License. Any operator in India aggrieved by the notice then he or she can appeal to the State Commissioner of Food Safety and the decision can be challenged through appealing to the Food Safety High Court.
If you have a small food business, then fulfil the conditions mentioned above required to run such a food business. For every food business operator, it is essential to obtain FSSAI license for small businesses, and you will be benefited in the future as it leads to business expansion. Therefore get your License today itself.