FSSAI License Renewal in India
If any person is in the food business in India, then the terms FSSAI License and FSSAI License Renewal are well known to him/her. The FSSAI License in India is mandatory for starting any food business. Every Food Business Operator (FBO) is required to obtain the FSSAI License in India. The FSSAI License Renewal is equally an important thing as that of getting a License of FSSAI in India. The Food Business Operator or FBO is required to renew the FSSAI License within the validity time period. In the article, we will discuss the step by step procedure followed for FSSAI License Renewal in India.
What is FSSAI?
In India, FSSAI stands for the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India. FSSAI is an organization that monitors and governs the food businesses in India. The FSSAI undergoes certain quality checks of the foods products and ensures a lowering in food adulteration and sale of sub-standard goods in the market. The FSSAI in India regulates and administers the running of food businesses in the territory and is responsible for the licensing and registration of Food Business Operators or FBOs in India.
What is an FSSAI License in India?
In India, FSSAI issues a 14-digit License Number to the Food Business Operators or FBOs who are in accordance with the FSS Act. The Food Business Operators or FBOsis required to imprint the FSSAI License number on their food products along with their FSSAI logo on all the manufactured products. The FSSAI License number is required by the FBOsprior to the commencement of their business. It is not necessary to only get an FSSAI License, but the FSSAI License Renewal in India from time to time is also as mandatory as getting the License of FSSAI.
The validity of the FSSAI License in India extends from 1 to 5 years as chosen by the Food Business Operators or FBOs. The cost of the FSSAI License increases with an increase in the number of years the FSSAI License in India is applied for.
What are the primary benefits of FSSAI License in India?
The primary benefits of the FSSAI License in India are as follows:
- Consumer Awareness
The consumers nowadays are keener, and more encouraged towards fit or healthy foods in the market. The good and bad qualities of food are also known to the consumers. The FSSAI License in India spreads more awareness among the daily consumers that the food consumed by the consumers is safe and healthy for them to eat.
- Legal Advantage
FSSAI has set certain rules and regulations for the FBO or Food Business Operators in India. These prescribed rules and regulations are totally legal in the eyes of the law. The Registration of FSSAI is a legal procedure now to ensure that the food people are using or eating is fit for their consumption.
- Acceptance by the Public
The common public will accept the food from the business of a trader as the certificate of FSSAI makes the consumer think that the food is healthy and fit for eating. The FSSAI also ensures the consumer to believe that the Government has also approved the food of the business of trader.
- Check on the Quality
The inspection that is done by the FSSAI authorities for the food of your business provides a quality check to the food of FBO. The consumers will gain confidence after seeing that a particular brand is registered under the FSSAI, hence making them think that the food product is of pure quality.
- Expansion of the Business
The FSSAI license in India makes it easier for the FBOs to get bank loans for business Expansion. With the help of the FSSAI License in India, the Food Business Operators can build a good reputation among the traders in the market and expand their business.
- Logo of FSSAI
The FSSAI logo is the validity and assurance of the good quality food to the consumers. The FSSAI logo adds the advantages that the food is secure and safe for people for consumption.
What are the important Documents required for FSSAI License Renewal in India?
All the important documents required for filing the application for the FSSAI License Renewal in India are as follows:
For Basic Registration
- Applicant’s latest Passport-sized Photograph;
- Identity Proof like - Driving License, Aadhar Card, or Voter ID;
- PAN Card of the Applicant;
- Address Proof like Gas Bill, Electricity Bill, or Phone Bill;
- A Copy of the papers of Property (if the property is owned);
- A Copy of the Rent Agreement;
- No Objection Certificate Letter from the Landlord (if the property is rented).
For Central or State Registration
- Applicant’s latest Passport-sized photograph;
- Identity Proof like Driving License, Aadhar Card, or Voter ID;
- PAN Card of the applicant;
- Address Proof like Gas Bill, Electricity Bill, or Phone Bill;
- A Copy of the Papers of Property (if the property is owned);
- A Copy of the Rent Agreement;
- No Objection Certificate Letter from the Landlord (if the property is rented);
- A list of Proprietor/Directors/ Partners/ Executive Members of Society with their Addresses and the Contact Details;
- The Layout Plan of the Food Processing Unit;
- List of the different Food Category (In case of Manufacturers);
- No Objection Certificate from the Municipal Body or Local Body;
- A copy of the Partnership Deed;
- A copy of the MoA and AoA of the Firm;
- A cancelled Cheque.
- An E-Code Document issued by the DGFT or Directorate General of Foreign Trade(applicable in case of Central FSSAI License);
- A Nomination of the Persons by a Company along with the passed Board Resolution in Form IX;
- A Proof of the turnover of the firm (applicable in the case of Central FSSAI License);
- A Certificate from the Ministry of Commerce for EOU 100% (applicable in case of Central FSSAI License)
- An analysis Report of the water from a recognized by the manufacturer (applicable in the case of Central FSSAI License);
For Manufacturing and Processing Units
- The Layout Plan of the premises of the unit showing the dimensions and operation wise area of the unit;
- A List of Name and Equipment and Machinery along with the number of them, horsepower used by the machinery and installed capacity of each machinery;
- The total list of all the food categories desired to be manufactured by the unit;
- An Analysis of the report of the water used in the food from a recognized public health laboratory;
- Letter of Authority with the address and name of the responsible person nominated by the manufacturer.
What is the step by step procedure for FSSAI license Renewal in India?
The procedure of FSSAI License Renewal in India can be done in two ways:
Online FSSAI Renewal
The online procedure for FSSAI License Renewal in India is as follows:
- Visit the Food Licensing Authority portal.
- Log in using the Username and Password provided.
- Apply for FSSAI License Renewal by clicking on the relevant links.
- Next, a warning message will appear on the screen stating, "Are you sure that you want to continue for the FSSAI License Renewal". The applicant should click on the 'OK' button.
- Then the applicant is required to upload all the necessary documents as asked by the portal.
- The application is to be submitted after reviewing and submitting all the necessary documents.
- After the submission of the application, a reference number will be provided for tracking the status of the application to the applicant for FSSAI License Renewal.
Offline FSSAI Renewal
The offline procedure of FSSAI License Renewal in India is as follows:
- Fill the Form
The initial step for the FSSAI License Renewal in India is to fill the Form A for Basic Registration or Form B for Central or State Registration. Thesetwo forms consist of the business activities of FBOs which are required to be filled withall the necessary self-attested declarations as mentionedin the Food Safety and Standard or FSS Act. A photo identity proofs such as Passport, Driving License, Aadhar Card, Voter ID are also required to be attached.
- Verification of Application
After receipt of the application, the food authorities will examine the filed application. The authorities are also authorized to arrange for an inspection of the premises of the applicant in order to check that FBO has disclosed all the necessary information and information that is submitted is correct. A proper report is required to be formed by the inspection authorities.
The authorities if are completely satisfied, after the successful inspection of the premises of FBO, can issue the FSSAI License in favor of the FBO.
- Getting License
The required authorities must issue the FSSAI License within a time period of 60 days. In a case no response is received by the authorities within the time period of 60 days, then the FBOsare authorized to run the business without wasting any time. The FBOs need not be waiting for any further communication or reply from the authorities.
What are the primary consequences of Non-Renewal of FSSAI License in India?
To avoid any kind of fine, the FSSAI License Renewal in India should be done as per the guidelines of FSSAI. The FSSAI License Renewal in Indiais required to be done before the expiry of the License.The FBOs should better apply for the FSSAI License Renewal in India the time official notification for the renewal is received by them.
In India, if the FSSAI License Renewal is not done in the stipulated time, then an amount of Rupees 100 per day will be charged. The application is not filed for the FSSAI License Renewal within the specified time-period, then it will be inspected as expired, and a new FSSAILicense is required to be applied by the Food Business Operators.
FSSAI License of the FBOs will continue to be in force, during the time orders for the FSSAI License Renewal in India is passed in the favor of the FBOs. Such an ordershould not be beyond the time period of 30 days from the date of expiration of the License of FSSAI in India.
How will Swarit Advisors help you?
- Fill the Form
- Get a Call-back
- Submit Document
- Track Progress
- Get Deliverables
Frequently Asked Questions
The FSSAI License needs to be renewed at least 30 days before its expiry. For Renewal, the license holder needs to file Form A and B. The fee for a renewal is the same as the fee charged for the issuance of a new license.
Every FBO operating in India needs to obtain FSSAI License in India.
An individual can obtain FSSAI License by applying on the official website.
The term “FSSAI License” denotes a 14-digit numeric code issued to every FBO in India, under the FSS Act.
The FSSAI License of an applicant will appear in the FSSAI License Renewal bin 60 days before the date of expiry. Therefore, it is mostly suggested to apply for the FSSAI License Renewal at the same time.
A basic FSSAI License in India can be issued in 7 to10 working days. In contrast, a State and Central FSSAI License can take a time period of around 30 days.
A FSSAI License remains valid for a minimum of 1 year and a maximum of 5 years. Further, it needs to be renewed at least 30 days before expiry.
The individual will be fined Rs. 100 per day until the contravention continues.
No, one cannot continue his/her food business without renewing his/her FSSAI License, if it is expired. Doing this will impose a hefty penalty on the said Food Business Operator.
Yes, one can apply on the official portal for the FSSAI License Renewal.
One can check the status of the FSSAI Registration form on the official website of FSSAI.
Yes, as per the FSS Act, 2006, certain FBOs need to file an Annual Return in the prescribed manner.
A Licensing Officer can reject a FSSAI Application, in the case when the applicant does not provide the required information within the time limit of 30 days.
The State Government and Central Government depending on the type of license, has the authority to FSSAI Certificate.
The term FSSAI stands for the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India.
No, the process for renewal remains the same for everyone; only the documents differ based on the type of business format.
A FSSAI License remains valid for a minimum of 1 year and a maximum of 5 years.