Why is FSSAI License mandatory to start an Industrial Canteen?
Yes, it is mandatory to obtain an FSSAI License for Industrial Canteen because it falls under the food business. In India, if any business falls in the category of food business under Section 3 (1) (n) of the Food Safety Standard Act, 2006 requires an FSSAI Certificate to function legally. In India, FSSAI is the primary governing body in the food sector, and it operates under the Food Safety and Standard Act, 2006. FSSAI agency co9med under the purview of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. Besides these outlets, food license is compulsory for the transporters and vehicles indulged in the transportation of food to various parts of the country, to obtain this license. The whole purpose of food license is that the FSSAI aims to reduce the problems related to the low-quality food being served to the consumers and ensure health & safety. In this blog, we discuss the importance of FSSAI License for Industrial Canteen.
Why is it necessary to obtain FSSAI License for Industrial Canteen?
It is mandatory to obtain a license for all the departmental canteens, industrial canteens, tiffin rooms, etc. to continue to sell and manufacture food. Looking for food license would make it compulsory for the government canteens to maintain a standard of food quality as lack of it has often been the cause of worry among the customers of such canteens. The scenes of filth, messy corners, and lack of attention to clean the waste are full in India’s industrial canteen.
The particular managing committees have to register a food license under the provision of Food Safety and Standards Regulations, 2011. The concerned officers get in touch with FSSAI for executing of Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006, and the Ministry has issued the order to all the Central Government Departments. As per the Act, no individual can carry or operate any food business in India except under the license. Presently, all the registered canteens are running in the various office of the Central Government all over the country. But, a direction has remained silent on canteens in educational institutions in India which are also running under unhygienic and unhealthy conditions, putting the health of numerous students at risk.
In India, industrial canteens are often in factory units that cook and prepare food for the workers of those units just like assembly lines and factories. Industrial canteens and their kitchen are unhygienic, dirty, untidy, and ill-equipped. Moreover, with those conditions, even the food services are hardly pleasant and often lacks the nutrition profile it should have. This happens because no one cares about the development and welfare of industrial workers. So, in India, groups of labour have been long since waging a campaign against this. In 2006, with the rise of FSSAI, if becomes compulsory to obtain FSSAI License for industrial canteen, which meets the basic safety standards and health standards and can assure food safety & health safety of their food.
Different types of FSSAI License for Industrial Canteen in India
Following are three different types of FSSAI License for Industrial Canteen in India, and you can check the same below:
- FSSAI Registration: FSSAI Registration or Certificate is only for petty business or small to medium-sized business in the food industry with the annual turnover of less than 12 lakhs. For this certificate, an applicant must fill Form A along with fees as prescribed for FSSAI License (Food Safety License).
- FSSAI State License: All the business operators such as retailers, manufacturers, marketers, distributors, storage, etc. with the annual turnover more than 12 lakh and up to 20 crores or 30 crores in some states and the quality less than the specified units as specified by the Registering authority must apply for State FSSAI License from the State Authority provide they fulfil the criteria under the State Licensing.
- FSSAI Central License: Individuals who offer the food catering services in different units and establishments under the Central Government Agencies such as Airports, Railways, Defense, Sea Ports, etc. with the annual turnover more than 20 crores and quality more than the specified units as suggested by the Registering Authority are also required to get the Central FSSAI License.
FSSAI Certificate for Industrial Canteen
Any industrial canteen in India if it is a micro, small, medium, and large scale, it is serving consumable goods to industrial workers such as items and foods will require to get the FSSAI approval. But, FSSAI approval guarantees that whatever products or items business is providing is safe for human consumption. All the licenses and certificates ensure food safety, health safety, and general wellbeing for workers who works in various industries.
Documents required for FSSAI License for Industrial Canteen
Following are the essential documents required for FSSAI license for industrial canteen:
- Duly signed and filled Form A or Form B by Partner or Proprietor.
- Submit a copy of self-attested PAN Card of the applicant. If a Company or Partnership Firm, PAN card of such a Company/Firm is also required.
- Address proof of the applicant and in case of partnership or company, submit address proof of such company/partnership firm along with address proof of authorized representative.
- Submit two latest passport size photographs of the applicant or authorized representative.
- Submit Rent Deed or Registry copy of a registered copy of a company/firm.
- Submit a list of partners/directors/Members of Society/Trust on the letterhead of a particular company/firm/trust.
- A detailed list of all machinery or equipment used in the premises.
- Submit MOA (Memorandum of Association) and AOA (Articles of Association) of the company.
- Submit the Partnership Deed/Affidavit of Proprietor.
- No objection Certificate (NOC) from the manufacturer in case the applicant is doing business of repacking/relabeling.
Note: Registration for FSSAI License for industrial canteen can be applied for one to five years, it means that an applicant can apply for the license for one year or for two years or maybe for five years. Once the license for industrial canteen expires, the applicant needs to apply for the license again as an FSSAI License Renewal.
It has become mandatory to obtain FSSAI License for all the vegetable/fruit sellers, tea stalls, industrial canteen, hotels, restaurants, food processors, etc. as per the Food Safety and Standards Regulations, 2011. The whole process of FSSAI to provide a high quality of food and being served to all the users or consumers who are industrial workers. If you are looking for getting FSSAI Registration/License, please contact Swarit Advisors. Our professional team can assist you with more details.