What is FSSAI State License?
FSSAI stands for Food Safety and Standards Authority of India. It is a self-governing body established under Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006. The body is responsible to issue FSSAI License to the food business operators (FBO).
FSSAI State License is mandatory for those FBO whose annual turnover is between Rs. 12 lakhs to 20 crores. Any such food business operating without obtaining Food License shall be liable for the penalty.
FSSAI License contains a 14-digit registration number, which is labeled on the packaging of the food products.
Who should obtain FSSAI State License?
All the food business operators (FBOs) who fall in the following categories are required to obtain a State License to commence their food business:
- Food manufacturers, wholesalers, retailers, distributors, caterers etc. whose turnover exceeds Rs. 12 lakh and is up to Rs. 20 crores.
- Food storage businesses with a cold storage capacity of up to 50,000 Metric Tons (MT).
- All the Dhabas, Restaurants, Banquet halls, Home-based canteens, Boarding houses serving food, Temporary or Permanent food stalls with turnover exceeding Rs. 12 lakhs.
- Transporters of foods possessing up to 100 vehicles or annual turnover of up to Rs. 30 crores.
- All the dairy units consisting of Milk chilling units facilitated to manage or process 501 to 50,000 LPD of milk or above 2.5 Metric Tons to 2500 MT of Milk solids every year.
- Units which process Meat and have a capacity of up to 500 kg of Meat processing every day or 150 MT per annum.
- Slaughtering units with a capacity of up to 150 small animals or 50 large animals or 1000 poultry birds each day.
- Every food processing unit along with re packers and re labelers producing more than 100 kg per day.
- Every Pulse, Cereals and Grains milling unit.
Documents for FSSAI State License
If you want to acquire State FSSAI License, then you need to submit the following documents to the concerned Authority:
- Photo identity proof such as PAN card of food business operator;
- Address proof of the FBO;
- Form-B completely filled and duly signed by the Partner or Proprietor or an Authorised Signatory;
- Rent Agreement of the premise;
- NOC (No-Objection Certificate) from the premise owner in case the office is rented;
- Details of food category to be manufactured, in case you’re a manufacturer;
- Copy of Certificate obtained under the Multi-State Coop Act, 2002 (in case of the cooperative) or Coop Act, 1861.
- Certificate of Company Incorporation;
- Layout or blueprint of the processing unit representing the dimensions as well as area allocation depending on the operations (applicable for manufacturers and processing units only);
- NOC and copy of the Manufacturer License (for re labelers and re packers only);
- NOC from Municipal Corporation or local body;
- Copy of Certificate obtained from Ministry of Tourism (HRACC) (compulsory for Hotels);
- Sources of Meat and Milk (if applicable)
- Form IX;
Apart from this, there are several other documents required to obtain FSSAI State License. We will let you know what documents are required to be submitted depending on the kind of food business you operate.
Contact Swarit Advisors, if you wish to apply for FSSAI State License.
How to Apply for FSSAI State License
The process of acquiring a FSSAI State License for a food business is quite distinct from Basic FSSAI Registration procedure. We have enlisted the steps that are required to get FSSAI State License. They are as follows:
- Step 1:
Being an applicant, you need to file an Application for Food License in Form B to the Licensing Authority through FSSAI online Registration process.
- Step 2:
The Application for License must be annexed with an affidavit, self-declaration, and Annexure as applicable.
- Step 3:
If the information in the Form and document is complete, then the Authority will issue the License. The License is generally issued for a period of 1 to 5 years, depending on the request of the FBO. The Application fee for the License depends on the time period for which the FBO has opted. Higher the time period, higher would be the Application fees.
- Step 4:
Once the expiration date arrives, the applicant can again apply for the renewal before it actually expires.
The statutory fees for State License range from 2000-5000 P.A. However, the fee varies for different states.
Penalty for Non-Compliance
Whether you hold Basic Registration or any FSSAI License, you are supposed to follow the standards prescribed by FSSAI regarding the food business operations. Any non-compliance to the following guidelines can lead to a hefty penalty as follows:
Penalty for sub-standard food
Up to 5 lakh INR
Penalty for misbranded food
Up to 3 lakh INR
Penalty for misleading advertisement
Penalty for food consisting of superfluous matter
Food quality not in accordance with Act
Petty manufacturer – 25,000
Penalty for not complying with the guidelines of Food Safety Officer
2 lakh INR
Penalty for unsanitary or unhygienic or processing/ manufacturing of food
1 lakh INR
Frequently Asked Questions
The State FSSAI License is required for those Food Business Operators who have an Annual Turnover between Rs. 12 Lakhs to Rs. 20 Crore per annum. Further, the prescribed Turnover limit is the same for the FSSAI State Manufacturing License or FSSAI State Trading License as well.
The Food Business Operators who have an Annual Turnover between Rs. 12 lakhs to Rs. 20 crore per annum are required to obtain FSSAI State License. This criterion includes food businesses like units of vegetable oil and refineries, 4-star rating Hotels, Dairy units, Slaughter shops, Food processing units, etc.
Yes, by choosing Swarit Advisors, one can easily obtain his or her FSSAI License because we at Swarit Advisors:
- Provide FSSAI License at the shortest time frame
- Provide General advice regarding the filing of the FSSAI online application
- Provide Guidance on choosing the right type of food license
- Provide end-to-end assistance in the process of Registration
- Provide solutions to all your queries and concerns regarding FSSAI registration
The fee for obtaining State FSSAI License varies from one state to another. However, the same will range between Rs 2000 to Rs 5000.
Yes, FSSAI State Trading License is required for doing trading business.
The following listed are the steps included in the process of renewal of FSSAI License:
- The first and the foremost step of the FSSAI license renewal are to fill Form A (for Basic FSSAI Registration) or Form B (for Central or State FSSAI registration). Such an application form must be filled according to the previous license together with the self-attested documents as specified under the guidelines of the Food Safety and Standards Act, Regulations, or Laws.
- On the receipt of the duly filled application for the FSSAI License Renewal, the authority will then inspect it.
- The authority will send its competent officers to conduct an inquiry of the said establishment.
- After that, the FSSAI officer shall conduct a detailed inquiry and inspection of the Place being used for the Food Business and will thoroughly inspect all the standards and guidelines prescribed concerning the food business and formulate its report.
- FSSAI or the Food license is needed to be issued within 60 days by the appropriate authority.
Yes, FSSAI License is issued with its validity period of a minimum 1 year to maximum 5 years. It is required to be renewed before 30 days of the end of its validity.
Yes, FSSAI is must to carry out activities related to any stage of manufacturing. It is advised to go for FSSAI Registration before beginning with processing /packaging/storage/transportation/ distribution of food.
No, it is 14 digit numeric code.
Yes, it is mandatory to display FSSAI logo and License Number on the label of the food package. This is a mandatory condition under the guidelines issued by FSSAI. In addition to it, for imported food products, the importer shall display the name and address on a sticker to be affixed to the product before Customs Clearance, apart from FSSAI logo and License Numbers.
Yes, of course. The status of FSSAI Application can be checked on the website of FSSAI State License.
When your food business turnover exceeds Rs. 12 lakh but is below Rs. 20 crores, you require FSSAI State License.
In this case, you will be subject to penalties or even you can have to go to jail.