BIS ISI Certification for kitchen appliances
Kitchen appliances are used in our day-to-day life. It is essential that these products are of good quality. The government has set ISI standards on these appliances to ensure that only safe products is utilised by the people. In this blog, we shall look into the process of obtaining BIS ISI certification for Kitchen appliances.
What is BIS?
The Bureau of Indian Standards is an entity created under the BIS Act, 1986. BIS plays a pivotal role in applying, grading and standardising the various products in India. It was established by the Ministry of Consumer Protection to ensure consumer protection and safety. With the steps taken by the BIS, the consumer feels secure and obtains high-quality products. The ISI certification also comes under the purview of BIS.
ISI –Stands for Indian Standard institute. The ISI mark acts as a symbol of assurance that the product has been created as per the standards prescribed by the ISI. The process of obtaining an ISI mark for the product is called ISI certification. It is mandatory for the manufacturer or importer of kitchen appliances to obtain an ISI certification.
ISI Standard for Kitchen Appliances
|IS 302 (Part 2/ Section 14)
|Domestic Electric Food Mixer (Liquidizers and Grinders) and Centrifugal Juicer
Why is ISI certification necessary for Kitchen appliances?
- A kitchen product with an ISI mark states its quality.
- The ISI mark on kitchen products will face lesser rejection and will be beneficial for business.
- ISI Marked Kitchen products tend to perform better and have an extended shelf life.
- Today’s consumers prefer an ISI-marked Kitchen product.
- ISI mark on the product provides room for standardisation and quality control.
Key points for manufacturers to remember BIS ISI Certification for kitchen appliances
Keypointsmanufacturer must keep in mind before applying for BIS ISI certification for kitchen appliances
- The BIS shall frequently monitor the quality of Kitchen products
- The seller needs to mention the details of the ISI certification of the product on all the bills.
- The customer has the right to complain if the product bearing an ISI mark does not meet the standard.
- It would take around months to inspect and resolve a complaint against the manufacturer.
What are the documents required for BIS ISI Certification for kitchen appliances?
- Address of the Manufacturing unit
- Certification of registration (copy)
- The test reported generated from BIS authorised lab (copy)
- Documents specifying details of the types of equipment
- Details of product packaging such as the size of the product, quantity etc.
- Flow chart depicting the manufacturing process
- Indian Residency proof
- Copy of Trademark registration
- Disposal channel of Inferior quality product
- Details of the workforce- Name Experience, Qualification and designation
- Factory’s Layout Plan
- Details about the raw material used for production
- Particulars of the machinery installed
- A drawing of the product
- Name and PAN of the agent/owner
- Details of Authorised Indian Representative – In case of foreign manufacturer
The process to obtain BIS ISI Certification for kitchen appliances
An applicant must complete the following steps to obtain BIS ISI Certification for kitchen appliances
- Pick the product code: The applicant must select the product code and ensure that the product can fulfil the standards and comply with the guidelines set by BIS.
- Filing up of the application: the next step after the selection of the product is to apply for the ISI certification for Kitchen appliances. The applicant shall file the application in Form-V and pay the requisite fee for the certification as well. In the case of multiple components or multiple products, a separate application needs to be filed for each one.
- Inspection by the BIS officer: The BIS officer, along with an inspection team, shall visit the factory premises. Next, the inspection shall overlook the manufacturing process and also conduct a quality check on the products. The BIS officer shall collect random samples and send them for testing at a BIS-authorised lab.
- Submission of the sample report: The applicant shall have to retrieve the report of product samples from labs and attach and submit it to BIS.
- Grant of ISI certificate: after the submission of application in Form-V and verification of submitted documents and test reports. The BIS shall issue the ISI certificate to the applicant. The process of acquiring BIS ISI Certification for kitchen appliances takes about 30 days after the submission of the application.
Validity of BIS ISI Certification for kitchen appliances
BIS ISI Certification for kitchen appliances shall be valid for a period of one year.
Renewal of BIS ISI Certification for kitchen appliances
The BIS ISI Certification for kitchen appliances shall be valid for one year, and it needs to be renewed after the expiry of this time. For renewal, an application needs to be filed, and a prescribed renewal fee must also be paid. A practising Chartered Account should carry out the verification of the renewal application.
Penalty for not using BIS ISI Certification on kitchen appliances
If a manufacturer, whether domestic or foreign, is found selling goods without an ISI mark or counterfeits a registered mark, then the manufacturer shall be liable for a penalty of Rs.50000 and imprisonment for up to one year.
The products utilised in the kitchen are something that is used frequently, perhaps daily. It is necessary that these products live up to the standards and the claims made by the manufacturers. An ISI-certified kitchen product ensures that the product is of superior quality and is safe for the consumer.
Read our Article:BIS ISI certification for Automotive Tubes & Tyres