BIS ISI certification for Automotive Tubes & Tyres
In the year 2011, the government made it mandatory for all the tyre manufacturers in India to meet the BIS standards for tyres. The dealers can only sell the tyres that carry the BIS mark on the sidewall. This mark is similar to the CE mark prevalent in the European Union. This BIS registration is applicable to both imported and domestic tyre makers. In this article, we shall see how to obtain BIS ISI certification for Automotive Tubes & Tyres.
What are the Standards applicable for BIS ISI certification for Automotive Tubes & Tyres?
|Pneumatic Tyres for Passenger Car Vehicles — Diagonal and Radial Ply — Specification
|IS 15633: 2022
|Automotive Vehicles — Pneumatic Tyres for Commercial Vehicles — Diagonal and Radial Ply — Specification
|Automotive Vehicles — Pneumatic Tyres for Two and Three -Wheeled Motor Vehicles, Quadricycles and E-Rickshaw / E-Carts — Specification
Why is BIS ISI certification for Automotive Tubes & Tyres necessary?
The BIS ISI certification for automotive tubes and tyres are necessary as they:
- The certification will help analyse tyre performance, wear and tear and behaviour.
- BIS-approved tyres shall enhance the comfort of the driver and the vehicle’s passenger.
- BIS ISI-certified tyres shall minimise the wear and tear of the tyres.
- BIS-qualified tyres have proven to have increased life.
- High-quality tyres provide better grip and thereby prevent a lot of accidents.
Which all BIS Standards are applicable to ISI certification for Automotive Tubes & Tyres
- Indian Standards Institute: The ISI certification is mandatory for all Indian manufacturers. This makes sure that the product has attained the standards as prescribed by the law and is safe for consumption in the Indian market.
- Foreign Manufacturers: The foreign manufacturer must obtain an FMCS license. This license ensures that all the goods imported into the country are up to the Indian standards and safe for the Indian population.
Documents required for BIS ISI certification for Automotive Tubes & Tyres
- Manufacturing unit’s address.
- Copy of Certificate of Registration.
- List of Equipment used for testing.
- Details of packaging, including information such as size, weight, and colour.
- Manufacturing Processes’ flow chart.
- Trade Registration’s proof.
- Process of disposal of the sub-quality product.
- Important details regarding the workforce such as designation, name experience etc.
- Factory’s layout plan.
- Details of raw material used.
- Details and specifications of the product.
- Copy of Utility bills of the factory.
- Photo id proof of (Authorised Indian Representative) for FMCS.
- Letter of authorisation for Agent/ Authorised Indian representative for FMCS.
Process of ISI and FMCS certification for tyres BIS for Automotive Tubes & Tyres
ISI Certification Process
- Step 1: The applicant needs to file the application for ISI certification.
- Step 2: A request for factory inspection must be made on the portal
- Step 3: The BIS officials shall conduct an inspection of the factory. They shall look into the manufacturing process, quality control steps are taken, and the process of production and testing capabilities.
- Step 4: While conducting the factory inspection the official shall pick a tyre sample to be tested in a third-party laboratory.
- Step 5: The test report of the tyre sample shall be generated and compared
- Step 6: if all the tests and documentation are up to the mark, then the officials shall issue you an ISI certificate.
FMCS certification process
- Step 1: The applicant needs to fill in the application along with the required documents
- Step 2: The prescribed fee must also be paid with the application. An official will inspect the manufacturing and testing facility.
- Step 3: After the inspection process, a test shall be conducted on the tyre sample drawn from the factory.
- Step 4: once the inspection and test report concludes that the tyre meets the Indian standards, the registration process shall continue.
- Step 5: The applicant must pay the minimum marking fee for the tyre (this shall vary from brand to brand and type of the tyre)
- Step 6: once the payment is made, the applicant needs to sign a $ 10,000 (USD) bank guarantee for the grant of license.
- Step 7: If all the required documents are furnished and the application duly filed, then BIS shall grant the applicant the FMCS license.
Validity of BIS ISI certification for Automotive Tubes & Tyres
The BIS ISI certification for automotive tubes and tyres is valid for two years upon payment of the minimum marking fee and needs to be renewed after that. In some instances, the license can be renewed for up to a period of 5 years. However, this can only be done in certain specific cases and payment with proper documentation and payment of renewal fees.
The government established the BIS to introduce quality standards on goods in India. This standard is applicable to one of the key components of a mammoth automotive industry, i.e. tyres. Currently, three standards are applicable for BIS ISI certification for Automotive Tubes & Tyres. All manufacturers must obtain certification of these standards in order to sell their products in the Indian market.
Read our Article:Setting up a BIS-certified power banks Business