A Few Quick Tips: How to take BIS Certification in India?
Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) works towards maintaining the safety, reliability and quality of the products in India. It is very important to ensure that the products that are being used by the people holds a good quality and are absolutely safe to use. An International Agency in Geneva, Switzerland formed an organization called the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) keeping it into consideration. India is a member of this organization which is the Bureau of Indian Standard. BIS Registration is important and all the products confirming and adhering to the standards prescribed by the BIS are certified. This article will put down a few quick tips on how to take BIS Certification in India.
The Bureau of Indian Standards reviews the Indian standards once in 5 years. Earlier, BIS was known as Indian Standards Institution.
What is BIS Certification in India?
BIS Certification is a document which guarantees the quality, safety and reliability of the products to the people. The government has made it mandatory to obtain BIS Certification in India for some products in concern with the consumer’s health. Once a product is certified by BIS, it holds a separate value among its challengers because it signifies its purity, legitimacy and safety. The purpose in getting BIS Certification in India is to help the seller of the product to mark his existence in the tender handling of the government. The government allows only those tenders who are duly certified and also authenticate the brand owners and the manufacturers. It also allows the importers to manufacture or import the products with no difficulties.
Once the product is certified by BIS, it also helps the new business owner to make huge revenue or profit. Certified products offer better client reliability and satisfaction. And in this modern era, because of the awareness in public, now the people only prefer to buy only certified brands over certified products regardless of the cost.
What are the activities controlled and governed by BIS?
The following activities are controlled and governed by BIS: –
- Product Certification Scheme
- Compulsory Registration Scheme
- Hall marking Scheme
- Laboratory Services
- Formulating Standards
- Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme
- Sale of Indian Standards
- Information Services
- National and International level Training Services
- Laboratory Recognition Scheme
- Consumer Affairs Activities
- Promotional Activities
What is the purpose to obtain BIS Certification?
As stated earlier, BIS works towards maintaining the quality, reliability and safety of the products in India, the objective of BIS is to check the samples of products and test it during the preliminary stage and surveillance operations. And for this purpose it has formed 4 regional, 8 central and 3 branch laboratories in the country. And that is why the government encourage to issue BIS Certification for the following reasons: –
- Promoting the confidence to the consumer.
- Providing assurance of quality.
- Providing safeguard to public health.
- Protecting the consumer from using any hazardous products.
Procedure for BIS Registration
In order to take BIS Certification in India, the steps are required to be followed in the registration process: –
Step 1: The applicant is required to create a user ID and click on new product registration and if already a user, then he is required to sign in with the user ID and password.
Step 2: Further the applicant is required to fill Form VI and make the prescribed payment as required.
Step 3: Once the form has been filled along with the payment, the applicant is required to click on the submit button and an auto-generated mail with the application number shall be received by the applicant.
Step 4: Then, a hard copy of the application is to be submitted within the 15 days along with the original test report, not older than 30 days required to be submitted by the applicant.
Step 5: the application will be scrutinized by the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) and in case of any objection or query; the applicant is required to reply for the same online.
Step 6: The BIS Certificate is granted to the applicant upon the registration, once the objection is resolved and the affidavit cum undertaking is submitted.
What are the Documents required for BIS Registration?
The following documents are required to be submitted by the applicant in order to register and obtain BIS Certification in India: –
- The application form according to the prescribed format given in Annexure I.
- A self evaluation report according to the required format given in Annexure II.
- The original test reports from the recognized laboratory of BIS which is not older than 30 days. Also, all the requirements must be mentioned in it as per the relevant category.
- A scanned copy of the acknowledgement received from the portal and the screenshot of the online file submission.
- Address proof, it can be the business license or any document issued by the government.
- Submission of THE Demand Draft with the prescribed fee along with the Xerox copy of the NEFT and DD details.
- The undertaking document.
- An affidavit as per the format C.
Category of people who can apply for BIS Certification in India
People who can apply for the BIS Certification in India are as follows: –
- The manufacturers of the notified products formed in India or outside the country under the Compulsory Registration Scheme (CRS).
- Separate registration for each brand being produced at the same location is required to obtain BIS Certification.
- Separate registration for products being produced at different locations is required to have BIS Certification.
There are many schemes under the BIS Certification which help the certified users.
BIS Certification in India is necessary so as to assure that the product is of a certain quality and is safe to be consumed by the people. The objective of the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) is to create standards for products sold by the manufacturers, business owners and importers exporters etc. One must apply for BIS Registration for getting a BIS Certification for their brand and products in India.