BIS ISI Certification for Refrigerator – A Complete Analysis
A Refrigerator is a home appliance including a thermally insulated compartment & a heat pump that transfers heat from inside to its external environment so that it’s inside is cooled to a temperature lower than the room temperature. Refrigeration is a vital food storage technique around the globe. The lower temperature reduces the reproduction rate of bacteria, so the Refrigerator reduces the rate of spoilage. Refrigerators with or without low temperature covered under IS 1476(Part-1):2000. This Standard specified the vital characteristics of fully factory-assembled household refrigerators with or without crisper or frozen food storage compartments, as well as the test methods for determining those characteristics. If any manufacturers want to manufacture Refrigerators, then it is compulsory for them to obtain BIS ISI Certification for Refrigerators. Without this Certification, the Manufacturer cannot sell or trade the Refrigerator in India. Scroll down to check more details regarding BIS ISI Certification for Refrigerator.
Benefits of BIS ISI Certification for Refrigerator
The following are the benefits of BIS ISI Certification for Refrigerator:
- This Certification gives authenticity to BIS-certified Refrigerator as they deliver reliability & high-quality performance of Refrigerator;
- This Certification ensures quality standards as BIS-certified products are bound to follow a certain standard while manufacturing the products;
- BIS ISI Certification is issued after testing the samples of the products in BIS-recognised laboratories, ensuring quality inspection & high quality of products;
- This Certification minimises environmental risks as the Bureau of Indian Standards has prohibited the usage of certain chemicals & materials under its prescribed norms.
Required Testing and Marking for Refrigerator
Following is the required testing & marking for the Refrigerator:
Tests shall be classified into 3 groups:
- Type Test: This test includes the following tests:
- Ice-making test;
- High voltage test;
- Door seal test;
- Internal frost accumulation & defrost test;
- No load performance test;
- No load adjustment test;
- Test for the mechanical strength of self & similar components;
- Door & fittings tests;
- Energy consumption test;
- Thermal insulation test.
- Acceptance Tests.
- Production Routine Test: This includes:
- Insulation resistance test;
- Thermostat test.
Each Refrigerator shall have marked permanently & legibly on one or more locations with the details prescribed in the Standard. This ISI Mark may also be applied to each Refrigerator. The Manufacturer must get a BIS ISI Certification for Refrigerator to use a standard mark (ISI Mark). The BIS issues a License based on a successful assessment of manufacturing infrastructure, testing capabilities & quality control & production process during a visit to its manufacturing premises.
- Each Refrigerator shall have the following details marked in a permanent & legible manner in one or several locations where it is readily visible:
- The Manufacturer’s name or Trademark;
- Voltage range;
- Wiring diagram;
- Rated energy consumption;
- The model of the Refrigerator& serial number;
- The refrigerant name used in a system and its quantity;
- Supply characteristics;
- The rated gross volume in cubic diameters or litres;
- Ice-making time;
- Name of fuel used (applicable in case of absorption type refrigerator);
- Overall dimension;
- Rated storage volume.
- Each Refrigerator shall be accompanied on delivery by instructions for its use & maintenance printed on strong paper or cardboard. These instructions shall at least contain information on the following:
- Operation conditions like starting, stopping;
- Cleaning and maintenance of the Refrigerator;
- Installation Requirements (in particular, levelling of the Refrigerator);
- Use of various control devices like defrosting, thermostat, etc.
Additional Requirements for ECOMARK
The Refrigerator shall conform to the performance, safety & quality requirements prescribed in this Standard for ECOMARK. When applying for ECOMARK, the Manufacturer must provide BIS with the Consent Clearance required by the Water (Prevention & Control of Pollution) Act, 1974 and the Air (Prevention & Control of Pollution) act, 1986. For ECOMARK, the Refrigerator must meet the noise levels as specified in the Environment (Protection) Act, 19886, from time to time.
Documents Required for BIS ISI Certification for Refrigerator
Following is the list of essential documents required for BIS ISI Certification for Refrigerator:
- Name & address of the factory and the office;
- List of manufacturing machinery with the machinery details;
- List of testing facilities and testing equipment;
- Documents showing the establishment of the manufacturing unit, such as Incorporation Certificate or Registration Certificate or MoA, etc.;
- Manufacturing process flow covering all manufacturing procedures (from raw materials to finished product stage);
- In-house or independent test report (if applicable);
- In case of a Foreign Manufacturer or applicant, appoint an Authorised Indian Representative;
- If the authorised signatory signs the application, the authorisation letter by the CEO in the authorised signatory’s name;
- Information on outsourcing of manufacturing operations (if applicable);
- MSME or SSI Certificate (if applicable);
- Layout plan of the factory or manufacturing unit and map location of the factory;
- Copies of valid calibration certificates for testing equipment.
Procedure for BIS ISI Certification for Refrigerator
Following is the step-by-step procedure for BIS ISI Certification for Refrigerator:
- Testing of the Product: The product (Refrigerator) for that ISI Certification is required must be tested in any BIS-certified lab as per the Indian Standards. The BIS lab performed every test as per the guidelines mentioned under the IS and generated the test report.
- Filing of the Application: After the above step, the applicant needs to fill out the application form online and submit all the vital documents along with the information asked in the application. Once the information & documents are submitted, the applicant needs to pay the Licensing & surveillance fees.
- Inspection Process: After filing the application, the BIS Officer & BIS inspection team will visit the factory premise or manufacturing unit to inspect the manufacturing & production unit and they also check the working conditions & facilities in the manufacturing unit.
- Verification Process: After the inspection of the factory premise, the BIS Officer will verify the product test report and all the vital documents & applications.
- Grant of License: Once the test report is examined & verified, the BIS Officials issue the BIS ISI Certification for Refrigerator.
Note: The BIS ISI Certification for Refrigerator is valid for 2 years. The applicant can renew the BIS ISI Certification when there is no change in the product & prescribed Standards. The renewed BIS ISI Certificate will be valid for 1 to 5 years.
If a product comes under the ambit of the BIS Conformity Assessment Scheme, all the importers, manufacturers & foreign companies must get BIS ISI Certification. Also, the BIS may cancel the BIS License if the product fails to meet certification requirements.
Read our Article:BIS ISI certification for Electrical motors