FSSAI License Number: Concept & Process to Check It Online
FSSAI being the governing body, has the authority to regulate and provide Food License to all the FBOs (Food Business Operators) operating in India on the basis of the food quality. They give a 14 digits registration number, known as the FSSAI License Number, which is printed on the food packages, together with the FSSAI Logo. Further, the FSSAI Number printed on the package ensures that the particular product is safe and secure to consume.
In this blog, we will discuss the concept and procedure to check and verify the status of the FSSAI License Number.
Concept of FSSAI License Number
The term Food License Number or FSSAI License Number denotes a 14-digits registration number that is issued to all the FBOs (Food Business Operators)irrespective of their size, annual turnover, and scale of operation.
However, it shall be considerate to state that, although it is mandatory for every FBO to acquire FSSAI License, but the type of license that he/she needs to apply for is based on the size and scale of operation. The different types of FSSAI License are as follows:
- Basic FSSAI License, if the annual business turnover is up to Rs 12 lakhs;
- State FSSAI License, if the annual business turnover is between Rs 12 lakhs and Rs 20 crores;
- Central FSSAI License, if the annual business turnover is above Rs 20 crores;
Different Sections of Food License Number
The Food License or FSSAI License Number is a 14 digits unique registration number, which is divided further into 5 sections. Each section of the number provides some detail about the FBO to authorities.
Further, the 5 different sections of the Food License Number are as follows:
Description of Digits Used
Information and detail about the FBO’s status of registration. Whether it is registered or not.
2nd and 3rd Digit
State code where the said food business is operational.
4th and 5th Digit
I Year of manufacture of a particular food product.
6th, 7th, and 8th Digit
Quantity of the enrolling master.
9th – 14th Digit
Permit Number of the maker.
Details Provided By FSSAI Number Search
The details provided by FSSAI Number Search are as follows:
- FSSAI Application Status, whether Active or Deactivate;
- FBO’s License Number;
- Name of the Manufacturer;
- Type of Business;
- Product List;
- Premise Address;
- Food Product;
Guidelines on Food License Number
The guidelines issued regarding the Food License Number are as follows:
- All the FBOs need to print the acquired 14 digits FSSAI Number on the packaged products;
- The font, shade, and colour of the FSSAI logo need to in contrast with the background of the packaged product. The reason for the same is that both the license number and logo are clearly distinguishable;
- All the Food Business Operators need to produce FSSAI License Number, together with the name and address with the FSSAI Authorities at the importing food product in India.
- The measurement of the alphabets, letters, and digits must be in accordance with the Food Safety & Standards (Packaging & Labelling) Regulation 2020;
- Displaying the FSSAI License Number and logo on the food products reflects that the said food business administrator or FBO has a legitimate license in compliance with the provisions of the Food Safety & Standards Act 2006;
- It shall be relevant to state that the license number needs to be acquired on the addresses of the several unit’s marks of the item;
- The quantity of food item or the component used must be shown alongside the number by the delivering organization;
- An FBO should put the license number and logo on their products only till the validity of their food license, i.e., maximum of 5 years;
Process to Check Online Food License Number
The steps involved in the process to check FSSAI License Number online are as follows:
Visit the Official Website
In the first step, the applicant needs to visit the official website of the Food Safety Connect;
Select Track FBO
Now, in the next step, the applicant requires to click on the third option named “Track FBO” from the options menu, located at the left side of the webpage;
Enter License Number
After clicking on the option Track FBO, the applicant will be redirected to a new page, wherein he/she requires to enter the provided 14 digits FSSAI or Food License Number. Thereafter, he/ she needs to click on the option “Submit”;
Details of the FBO Displayed
Once the applicant has clicked the option “Submit’ and if the entered license number is valid, then the website will display the status, together with other details of the said FBO (Food Business Operator).
In a nutshell, FSSAI or Food License is a 14-digits registration number issued to all the FBOs operating in India. Further, this license has a 5-year validity and is further bifurcated into 5 divisions. Moreover, it shall be considerate to note that it is compulsory for every FBO to print the acquired 14 digits FSSAI Number on the packaged products.
Lastly, if anyone wants to acquire a new FSSAI registration or FSSAI License Renewal of the existing license, then reach out to Swarit Advisors, our FSSAI experts will cater to all your doubts and requirements.