What is FSSAI Central License?
FSSAI stands for Food Safety and Standards Authority of India. It is a self-governing body established under Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006. The body is responsible to issue FSSAI License to the Food Business Operators (FBO).
FSSAI Central License is essential for those FBO whose annual turnover is above Rs. 20 crores. Besides, those FBO who are engaged in the import and export of food products are also required to obtain FSSAI Central License irrespective of business turnover.
FSSAI License has a 14-digit Registration or License Number, generally printed on the packages of the food products.
Who should obtain FSSAI Central License?
All the Food Business Operators (FBOs) falling in the following categories are supposed to get a Central License to start their food business:
- Food distributors, manufacturers, retailers, wholesalers, caterers etc. whose total annual turnover exceeds Rs. 20 crores;
- Cold storage capacity of more than 50,000 Metric Tons (MT);
- All the Restaurants, Dhabas, Boarding houses serving food, Banquet halls, Home-based canteens, Temporary or Permanent food stalls with turnover exceeding Rs. 20 crores;
- Food transporters who possess up to 100 vehicles or an annual turnover is more than Rs. 30 crores;
- All dairy divisions consisting of Milk chilling units facilitated to manage or process more than 50,000 LPD of Milk or above 2500 Metric Tons of milk sold per annum;
- Meat processing divisions which have a capacity of more than 500 kg of Meat processing every day or 150 MT per annum;
- Slaughtering divisions holding a capacity of more than 150 small animals or 50 large animals or more than 1000 poultry birds each day;
- All food processing divisions along with re-packers and re-labelers producing more than 100 kg per day.
Documents Required for FSSAI Central License
The documents required for FSSAI Central License is same as that of the State License, except for some additional documents mentioned below:
- Photo identity proof;
- Address proof of the Food Business Operators;
- Form-B completely filled and duly signed;
- Rent Agreement of the premise;
- NOC (No-Objection Certificate) from the landlord in case the office is rented;
- Details of food category to be manufactured, if you are a manufacturer;
- Copy of Certificate obtained under the Coop Act, 1861;
- Certificate of Company Incorporation;
- Layout or blueprint of the processing unit representing the dimensions as well as area allocation depending on the operations (applicable for manufacturers and processing units only);
- NOC and copy of the Manufacturer License (for re labelers and re packers only);
- NOC from the Municipal Corporation or local body;
- Copy of Certificate from Ministry of Tourism (HRACC) (mandatory for Hotels);
- Sources of Meat and Milk (if applicable);
- Form IX;
Additional documents for Central License
- Declaration Form;
- NOC/PA document issued by FSSAI;
- Supporting documents as a proof for business turnover;
- Certificate obtained from Ministry of Commerce;
- IE CODE document issued by DGFT (for exporters and importers).
Procedure for FSSAI Central License
The procedure to obtain FSSAI Central License is exactly the same as that of State License. Steps for the same are enlisted below:
- Filing of Form B
You need to file an Application in Form B to FSSAI department.
Submit the Form with a self-declaration and an Affidavit
The Application for the License must contain the Annexure attached with an Affidavit and a self-declaration. When you have prepared all the documents, you can submit it to FSSAI department.
- Issuance of License
If the Authority is satisfied with the documents and the Application, it will issue FSSAI Central License to the FBO. License is issued for 1 to 5 years and depends on the need of the FBO. Further, the Application fee for License depends on the time period for which the FBO has opted.
Renew License before it expires
You need to renew License before it expires.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, an individual can apply offline for obtaining FSSAI License in India.
The term “Central FSSAI License” denotes registration for those FBOs which have an annual turnover above Rs 20 crore.
The applicant needs to fill Form B to obtain Central FSSAI License.
The Registration Fee for obtaining the Central FSSAI License is Rs 7500.
There are a lot of documents required for obtaining a FSSAI Central License. However, the primary document is duly signed Form B.
The Central FSSAI License is required by those FBOs that are working on a large scale and have a turnover of more than Rs 20 crores.
Yes, it is mandatory for the Exporters to obtain Central FSSAI License.
The major difference between an FSSAI Registration and FSSAI License is that the former is mandatory for only those FBOs, which are having an Annual Turnover of Rs 12 lacs or more and latter can be obtained by any FBO.
Yes, you need to obtain an FSSAI registration, if your business is on a small-scale level and is having a turnover up to Rs 12 lakh.
All the FBOs dealing in the petty food business and have their turnover up to Rs 12 lakh needs to file Form A to obtain FSSAI Registration.
FSSAI has the authority to set standards and prescribe rules and regulations for FBOs.
A FSSAI License remains valid for a minimum of 1 year and a maximum of 5 years. Further, it needs to be renewed at least 30 days before expiry.
Yes, all the Food Business Operators, including the medical stores, need to obtain FSSAI Registration/ License.
Yes, any person who wants to import or export from India needs to Central FSSAI License after acquiring IEC Code.
In India, the nature and the annual turnover of a business act as the key difference between the State FSSAI License and Central FSSAI License.
Yes, one needs to obtain a Central FSSAI License for importing food items in India. The address for the license will be the address mentioned in the IEC Code (Import Export Code).
An individual can check the FSSAI License Number by visiting the official website.