Meaning of FSSAI Central License
The FSSAI Central License is that license which is applicable to all the FBOs having their units in different parts of India. These licenses are applicable to all kinds of large-size businesses which are spread all over the different states or countries such as McDonald’s, Subway, Domino’s, and so on.
Such FBOs having an annual turnover of Rs. 20 crores and above requires the Central FSSAI License. However, such FBOs which are involved in the process of import and export of food products also require obtaining FSSAI Central License irrespective of their business turnover.
However, it is further stated that FBOs operating in two or more states in India have to apply for one Central License for its Registered Head Office and a separate license or registration is required for all branches on the basis of the eligibility standards applicable on them.
The maximum tenure for the validity of the Central FSSAI license is five years and the minimum duration is one year.
Meaning of FSSAI License
FSSAI or the Food Standard and Safety of India are the legal regulatory body which is responsible for the regulation of food security in India. It is deemed mandatory for all Food Business Operators (FBOs) in India, to get the FSSAI Licence according to their business activity and their turnover. All Food Business Operators must get a 14 digit FSSAI License number and publish it on the food packages in order to overcome the situation of food adulteration.
However, in India the FSSAI issue the central license to all the FBO's in order to carry their business activities. FSSAI License is considered to be the main requirement of the FBOs who are dealing in manufacturing, storage, distribution, transportation as well as in retailing of food products. The Registration for FSSAI License can be either of the Central Government or of the State government depending up on the type of business activities.
Reasons to Register for Central FSSAI License
For all large food services or business operators in India it is deemed mandatory by the FSSAI department to get a Central FSSAI license in order to run their business smoothly in India.
Following are some of the reasons required for FSSAI Licence Registration:
- FSSAI licence helps in monitoring the food license of FBOs on a regular and random basis and thus, takes strict actions against such businesses whose licenses either have expired or such businesses that do not have the same.
- In order to gain the trust of the public as well as the consumers regarding the safety and quality of food it has been made mandatory to get the FSSAI License.
- Thus, it can be stated that licensing is an important factor in order to gain public trust.
- Helps in promotion of change in food products.
- In order to keep the trust of consumer FBOs must print the 14-digit FSSAI License number on their respective food packages.
- FSSAI Central License helps in promoting trade without compromising with the consumer protection.
- Central FSSAI Licence guarantees the food products to undergo various quality checks thus, by reducing the food adulteration along with the sale of sub-standard products.
Eligibility Criteria for Central FSSAI License
In order to obtain the Central FSSAI License any FBOs must fulfil following eligibility criteria. Some of these criteria are mentioned below as:
- Various FBOs such as restaurants, distributors, retailers and suppliers having an annual turnover of more than Rs. 20 crore must get the Central FSSAI Licence.
- Those manufacturing and processing units of vegetable oil done by the process of solvent extraction method along with the factories including oil expeller unit having a minimum capacity of over 2 metric tonnes each day are deemed to be eligible for Central FSSAI licence.
- All kinds of dhaba’s, clubs, canteens, and other food providing establishments having their branches spread in more than one state and also an annual turnover of more than Rs. 12 lakh are eligible for Central FSSAI License.
- Wholesalers having an annual turnover of not less than Rs. 30 crores must register themselves to obtain Central FSSAI License.
- Hotels having minimum rating of five star or even more.
- Export oriented units which are completely involved in either food production or processing.
- Every Importer can obtain the Central FSSAI License including those of import of food ingredients or additives.
- All caterers who are working under Central Government or any related agencies such as Railways, Airlines are eligible to obtain such license.
- Storages having a capacity of 50,000 metric tonnes or more.
- Dairy Units along with the chilling units having a minimum capacity to handle or process, over 50,000 litres per day can obtain the licence.
- A slaughter house having capacity to keep over 50 large animals or more than 150 small animals along with 1000 poultry birds per day.
- Cold Storage including closed and controlled atmosphere with the capacity of 1,000 MT or more can apply for the same.
- Different kinds of food processing units including re-packers however, excluding the grains, pulses & cereals milling units having a capacity of over 2 metric tonnes each day.
- Those FBOs which are involved in production of food item along with additive or its ingredient, by using new process or technology or a combination thereof, whose safety has yet not been established by the FSSAI can obtain the central FSSAI License.
Documents Required for the Central FSSAI Licence
The documents required for Central FSSAI License is same as that required for the State FSSAI License. However, there are some exceptions for it and these additional documents are mentioned below as:
- Identity proof
- Address proof to be submitted of the Food Business Operators (FBOs)
- Completely filled and duly signed Form-B
- Rent Agreement
- In case if the office is rented No- Objection Certificate or NOC is required to be submitted.
- In case of a manufacturer, details of the food category to be manufactured must be submitted,
- A copy of Certificate as obtained under the Coop Act, 1861,
- A Certificate of Company Incorporation to be provided,
- In case of manufacturing and processing units, layouts or blueprints of these units along with the dimensions as well as areas allotted for the operations of manufacturing and processing must be submitted.
- A copy of the Manufacturer License along the Non Objection Certificate,
- NOC to be submitted from the Municipal Corporation body or any local body,
- A copy of Certificate to be submitted obtained from Ministry of Tourism (HRACC).These certificates are mandatory for the hotels,
- Any source in relation of Meat and Milk (if applicable),
- Form IX to be submitted,
Additional Documents Required for Central FSSAI Licence
- FSSAI Declaration Form to be submitted,
- No Objection Certificate document issued by FSSAI to be submitted
- Supporting documents as a proof for business turnover;
- Certificate obtained from Ministry of Commerce;
- Import Export Code document issued by DGFT in case of importers and exporters.
Procedure to Obtain FSSAI Central License
The procedure to obtain FSSAI Central License is exactly as same as that of State FSSAI Licence. The procedure to obtain such FSSAI Central Licence is mentioned below:
- The registration for FSSAI licence is initiated by submitting an application for Form A to the Food and Safety Department of India.
- This application can either be accepted or be rejected by the said Department within 7 days from the date of receipt of such application. The rejection for such application has to be intimated to the applicant in writing.
- The registration for FSSAI licence is initiated by submitting an application for Form A to the Food and Safety Department of India.
- This application can either be accepted or be rejected by the said Department within 7 days from the date of receipt of such application. The rejection for such application has to be intimated to the applicant in writing
- However, in case if the application is accepted, then in such situation a registration certificate along with the registration number and the photo of the applicant shall be granted by the Food and Safety Department.
- All FBOs should display their certificate of registration at the place of business during the business hours.
Difference between Basic, State and Central License
The key differences between Basic, State and Central FSSAI licence are mentioned below in tabular form:
Basic FSSAI Licence
State FSSAI Licence
Central FSSAI Licence
This kind of licence is for all the Food Business Operators who are small in size.
This licence is for those kinds of Food Business Operators who are medium in size.
This licence is for those kinds of Food Business Operators who are large sized business.
The Registration for basic FASSI licence is done for businesses having an annual turnover up to Rs.12 lakh.
The State FSSAI License is granted for those businesses having an annual turnover which lies Rs.12 lakh to Rs.20 Crore.
The Central FSSAI Licence is granted for those businesses having an annual turnover of more than 20 Crore.
The main document which is required to signed duly and complete is FORM-A.
The main documents which is required to be filed and duly signed and complete in order to obtain State FSSAI Licence is FORM-B.
Duly signed FORM-B must be submitted in order to obtain Central FSSAI Licence.
Validity of Central FSSAI License
The validity of Central FSSAI license is for a time period extending from one to five years. Any specific food business can choose between these periods in order to obtain the central license. However, this Central FASSI license expires after the specified time period. After the expiration of the Central FASSI licence, it can once again be renewed. It is up on the different FBOs whether that they want to renew the licence and continue with it or not. Also know the different types of FSSAI License.
Moreover, in case of continuation of business the renewal of licence is deemed to be necessary.
Renewal of FSSAI Central Licence
Now, once the business owner has applied for the FSSAI Central License and completed their validity time, there will be a requirement for renewal of the Central FSSAI License once the registration of it gets expired.
Following is the process which must be followed in order to renew FSSAI Central licence:
- Before filing for renewal of FSSAI license, Form B must be filled in detail along with the self-attested declaration and a photo identity proof or Aadhar card, Voter ID or driving license.
- Once the form is filled and submitted, the authorities will further check and confirm the details followed up with an inspection in order to ensure the authenticity of the documents and the details provided there in.
- After completing the investigation process, the Central FSSAI License will be issued within the time period of 30-60 days.
Fee Structure for Central FASSI License
New Central FASSI Licence
Renewal of Central FASSI Licence
Modification done Central FASSI Licence
Duplication of Central FASSI Licence
10% of the Application License Fee.
Why Swarit Advisors?
- Thorough search for FSSAI Central License is conducted by us.
- We help in the preparation of the letter along with the Form required for the filing in order to obtain Central FSSAI License on applicant’s behalf.
- We advise you regarding the different categories of licence which can be granted to any business owner and where to apply for any particular licence.
- We provide help for the filing up of forms.
- We are in continuous contact with the applicant along with the updates till the time licence is not granted to the applicant.
FAQs of FSSAI Central License
Yes, an individual can apply offline for obtaining FSSAI License in India.
The term “Central FSSAI License” denotes registration for those FBOs which have an annual turnover above Rs 20 crore.
The applicant needs to fill Form B to obtain Central FSSAI License.
The Registration Fee for obtaining the Central FSSAI License is Rs 7500.
There are a lot of documents required for obtaining a FSSAI Central License. However, the primary document is duly signed Form B.
The Central FSSAI License is required by those FBOs that are working on a large scale and have a turnover of more than Rs 20 crores.
Yes, it is mandatory for the Exporters to obtain Central FSSAI License.
The major difference between an FSSAI Registration and FSSAI License is that the former is mandatory for only those FBOs, which are having an Annual Turnover of Rs 12 lacs or more and latter can be obtained by any FBO.
Yes, you need to obtain an FSSAI registration, if your business is on a small-scale level and is having a turnover up to Rs 12 lakh.
All the FBOs dealing in the petty food business and have their turnover up to Rs 12 lakh needs to file Form A to obtain FSSAI Registration.
FSSAI has the authority to set standards and prescribe rules and regulations for FBOs.
A FSSAI License remains valid for a minimum of 1 year and a maximum of 5 years. Further, it needs to be renewed at least 30 days before expiry.
Yes, all the Food Business Operators, including the medical stores, need to obtain FSSAI Registration/ License.
Yes, any person who wants to import or export from India needs to Central FSSAI License after acquiring IEC Code.
In India, the nature and the annual turnover of a business act as the key difference between the State FSSAI License and Central FSSAI License.
Yes, one needs to obtain a Central FSSAI License for importing food items in India. The address for the license will be the address mentioned in the IEC Code (Import Export Code).
An individual can check the FSSAI License Number by visiting the official website.