How to get BIS for Laptops and Tablets?
Laptops and tablets are an integral part of our lives. These are present everywhere at workplaces, schools, homes, universities etc. Such electronic devices serve various purposes entertainment, office work, education, and web browsing. India has a massive consumption of these devices in the country. Recently the BIS, through its official gazette, released a notification that made registering such products mandatory under Scheme II. Every laptop manufacturer in India must get registered with the compulsory registration scheme. In this Blog, we shall focus on How to get BIS for Laptops and Tablets.
What is the Bureau of Indian Standard Compulsory registration scheme (BIS CRS)?
The Department of Electronics and information technology (deity) [Now known as the Ministry of Electronics and Information technology] introduced the BIS Compulsory registration scheme. The scheme made it mandatory for the manufacturers to register their products before releasing them in the market.
Under the Compulsory Registration Scheme (CRS) every manufacturer, whether foreign or domestic, must be registered under this scheme for importing or selling electronic products in India. A total of 77 electronic products have been mentioned in the scheme. This includes audio video components, mobile phones/tablets, computer components, Bluetooth devices etc. If a manufacturer fails to comply with these norms, they shall be penalised for non-compliance under the BIS Act.
How to register for BIS for Laptops and Tablets?
While obtaining BIS CRS for electronic goods, we have to focus on four aspects. These are:
Manufacturer, Place of manufacturing, Category of the product and the Brand.
- Manufacturer: The BIS license for laptops and tablets can only be granted to the manufacturers. Other entities such as importers, retailers, and traders are not granted this license. If a foreign manufacturer wants to obtain this license, he can do so through an Authorised Indian Representative (AIR).
- Place of Manufacturing: The applicant must clearly state the factory’s address in the application form. Once the license is granted for a particular site, it cannot be changed. If there is a change in the address of the manufacturing unit, then a fresh application for the license has to be made. If there are multiple manufacturing units of the same equipment, then the entity must make a separate application for each address to the BIS.
- Category of the Product: While filing an application for BIS, it is necessary to mention the category under which the product lies. However, in some situations, the manufacturers require more than one license. In cases of laptops and tablets, the manufacturer needs to have two registration, one for the device and the second for the adapter that shall be given with it.
- Brand: The brand or the proprietor’s name is also essential to the application. If a manufacturer plans to make the same product for more than one brand, he has to get separate BIS CRS registration for both.
Documents required to obtain BIS for Laptops and Tablets
- A completed CDF/CCL form
- BIS application form
- Business License of the unit- this must be translated into both English and the local language.
- Manufacturer’s ISO certificate
- Letter of Authorisation ( if the application is being filled on behalf of the owner)
- Trade Mark Certificate
- Trademark Authorisation letter- If the applicant does not own the Trademark being used.
- Documents for Authorised Indian Representative (only required in the case of foreign manufacturers)
- Id-proof and photographs of the Authorised Indian Representatives
- The layout of the manufacturing unit
- The user manual of the product.
Process of BIS registration
The following steps need to be followed for BIS for Laptops and Tablets:
- Step-1: Listing the manufacturer: The manufacturer must be mentioned in the BIS. Here there are two cases. In the case of a domestic manufacturer, he can just mention himself, whereas in the case of a foreign manufacturer, the entity must elect an authorised Indian representative.
- Step-2 Filing of the application: The manufacturer must ensure that the BIS application is duly filed and all the necessary documents are attached along with it.
- Step-3 Test Reports: The product has to be submitted to a BIS-certified lab for testing. The lab shall generate a test report, which should also be attached to the application.
- Step-4 Scrutiny: once the application is submitted to the BIS, it shall scrutinise the application. If any discrepancies are found in the application, then the BIS shall ask the manufacturer to rectify those errors.
- Step-5 Grant of certification: If in case no errors are found, then BIS shall grant the license to the manufacturer. The license shall bear an eight-digit number.
Note: The grant of BIS CRS registration is based on a first-come, first-served basis, so the delivery of hardcopies should be made instantly after the submission of the online application.
Validity of BIS for Laptops and Tablets
The Validity of BIS for Laptops and Tablets shall be for a period of 2 years. After this period, the manufacturer has to file for its renewal.
BIS for Laptops and Tablets are mandatory for the manufacturers. The government has introduced CRS (Compulsory registration Scheme) for electronic products. The CRS mark depicts that the product has undergone requisite tests and withstood the fitness requirements for the product’s circulation in the market.
Read our Article:How to get BIS ISI for non-electronic toys?