Procedure for FMCS Certification – An Overview
The BIS offers different variants of Product Certification Schemes, the important ones being ‘ISI Mark Licensing’ and ‘Registration (termed as CRS)’. Both the Schemes could be subscribed to voluntarily to determine the compliance of their goods to Indian Standards by the manufacturers. Additionally, Licensing for ISI Mark is also available for Overseas Manufacturers under FMCS. In this write-up, we will pen down the Procedure for FMCS Certification.
What is Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme?
Before discussing the Procedure for FMCS Certification, let’s understand the meaning of FMCS. Since 2000, the Bureau of Indian Standards has been running a Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme. According to the FMCS, the license is granted to a Foreign Manufacturer for using Standard Mark on a product that works on an Indian Standard. The scheme applies to the license grant for products except those notified under CRS. The Foreign Manufacturers Certification Department (FMCD) license is granted at BIS Headquarters, New Delhi.
Typically, Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme (FMCS) is an ISI Mark License Scheme for overseas manufacturers. The BIS license is issued for a location where the product is manufactured and tested as per prevalent Indian Standard(s). Then, standard Mark is applied to the outcome following such Indian Standard(s).
Note– The procedure of the Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme is not applicable for goods covered under registration.
It is based on the Model of Type 5 Scheme of ISO/IEC 17067. The certification involves-
· Factory Inspection of the Manufacturing Unit,
· Testing of samples picked up during factory Inspection at BIS recognized labs,
· Periodic testing,
· Factory inspections and market and factory surveillance.
List of Products to be registered under the Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme
Below mentioned is the list of products to be registered under the Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme-
2. Food and Food-related Products
3. Medical Equipment
4. Cattle Feeds
5. Electric transformers
6. Aluminum Foil
7. Kitchen Appliances
8. Electric Motors
10. Chemicals and Fertilizers
11. Oil Pressure stove.
Who can apply for Foreign Manufacturers Certification Schemes?
The manufacturers, having their factory locations outside India, can apply under FMCS. However, the manufacturer shall-
1. Ensure conformity of their product(s) to applicable Indian standard specification
2. Having all the specifications related to manufacturing machinery/facilities at their factory premises.
3. Have necessary arrangements in their factory premises for testing the product(s) as per applicable ISS.
4. Competent testing personnel in their lab to test the product(s)
5. Accept the Scheme of Testing & Inspection and Marking Fee.
6. Accept the Terms & Conditions of the license.
Documents Required for the Procedure for FMCS Certification
Following are some vital documents required before starting the procedure for FMCS Certification:
- Business license and ISO certificate. All the documents should be in English/translated into the English Language
- Process flow chart.
- Details of manufacturing machinery.
- Details of raw materials and Raw material test Certificate.
- Particulars including information on test equipment and Test Equipment Calibration Certificate.
- Drawing of the product or its components (If required)
- Test report according to Indian Standards.
- Undertaking and Declaration.
- Other information if required.
Procedure for FMCS Certification in India
Below mentioned is the Procedure for FMCS Certification:
- The first step is filling out the application form accompanied by the required documents.
- A requisite fee will be paid along with the form submission.
- Once the application is filed, the authority will conduct a factory inspection to verify the manufacturing and testing infrastructure.
- At the time of factory inspection, a product sample will be taken for independent testing.
- The registration process will move forward once the inspection is done.
- As the independent test report verifies that the product is complying with the BIS standards.
- Before granting FMCS, the applicant must pay the license fee and advance minimum marking fee.
- After Paying the requisite fees, the Agreement, Indemnity Bond will be signed, and a $10,000 (USD) Performance Bank Guarantee must be furnished instantly after a license grant.
- The Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme will be issued if a product complies with the BIS standards.
Renewal of Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme
The Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme license is granted for not less than one year and up to two years. The FMCS License Renewal may be considered for a period of not less than one year and up to five years based upon whether the annual license fee and advance minimum marking fee has been paid for.
Note- If the application for FMCS renewal is made after the validity of the license, the application shall be accompanied by a late fee of rupees five thousand.
The FMCS Renewal application shall be made in Form XII, where all the Production detail, including complete consignees, address shall be submitted.
To obtain Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme License in India, an applicant(Foreign manufacturer) has to follow the above-mentioned process for BIS certification under FMCS