What is the Purpose of BIS Registration and Why we need this?
Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) is a statutory body governed by the Bureau of Indian Standards Act, 2016. BIS works to formulate and prescribe standardization for the goods and services. BIS is identified as the National Standard Body of India and is regulated by the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, food and Public Distribution and Government of India. BIS registration is compulsory for products which impact the health and safety of the consumers. Therefore, it is necessary to get registered under BIS. This article will provide with the information regarding what is the purpose of BIS registration and why we need this.
What is the purpose of BIS registration?
BIS by performing with the standardization ad conformity of the goods have resulted in benefiting the economy by providing quality products which are safe and reliable and focusing on reducing the health issues of the consumers, protecting the environment, promoting the activity of import and export and etc. besides providing benefits to consumers and industries, the standardization and certification scheme of BIS has also supported many public policies in the areas such as consumer protection, environmental protection, product safety, food safety and etc.
Various activities are carried out by the BIS such as product certification, hallmarking, training services, standards formulation, laboratory services and etc. the most primary and recognized objective of BIS is to form and prescribe the standards for products for the purpose of their certification. It ensures the harmonious development of the activities of standardization, marking and quality certification of goods.
BIS registration is essential for those goods and services which influence or affects the health and safety of the consumers. The compulsory BIS registration is divided into ISI Mark scheme and compulsory Certification scheme. Compulsory certification is required for electronic products whereas, ISI mark is required for food products, electrical appliances and cement and etc. It is necessary for a manufacturer to affirm that the products are in compliance with the Indian Standard to get the products registered under BIS.
Schemes of Certification covered under BIS
The schemes of certification covered under BIS are as follows: –
- Hallmarking – Applicable for articles which are made from precious metals like silver and gold.
- Product certification Scheme – Applicable for products which are intangible form, with some products classified under the compulsory certification.
- ECO mark Scheme – Applicable for products related or affected to the environment.
- System Certification Scheme – Applicable for process/systems.
- Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme – Applicable for foreign manufacturers who are engaged in the sale of their products in India.
Products requiring mandatory BIS Registration or Certification
It is mandatory for certain products to have BIS license or certification while considering the health and safety of the public. It is not allowed for any manufacturer to sell goods with the BIS certification. The products requiring BIS registration or Certification are as follows: –
- Oil pressure stoves.
- Diesel engines.
- Cement and concrete.
- Automobile accessories.
- Wood products.
- Leather product.
- Medical equipment.
- Cylinders, regulators and valves.
- Food and related products.
- Household electronics.
- Steel products.
- Plastic and rubber.
- Testing instruments.
- Machinery and equipment.
- Electrical transformers.
Why do we need BIS registration? / Benefits of BIS Registration
It is mandatory for the manufacturers to obtain BIS registration because: –
- BIS registration provided quality assurance of the product.
- Safeguards the health of the public.
- Protects the consumers from any dangerous products.
- It increases the confidence among the consumers.
Procedure followed for the purpose of BIS registration
The following steps are required to fulfill in the licensing process:
- The first step is to submit the application.
- A preliminary inspection shall take place by the BIS officer.
- The samples will be tested after the inspection.
- The final result will be derived after completing all the evaluation.
The next process that is, the surveillance process shall take place after the inspection process, in which the factory’s complete survey shall be conducted. The following steps shall take place in the surveillance process:
- The inspection authority shall visit the factory and test the samples.
- Once the test is done the samples are taken by the inspection authority.
- Samples will be sent to independent labs.
- The complaint or feedbacks on the investigation shall be given in the test report.
- The performance review report will be ready.
- The license shall be granted once the report is reviewed.
What are the documents required for the purpose of BIS registration?
Documents required to be submitted for the purpose of BIS registration is bifurcated into two parts:
The first part states the technical information of the products available for testing in labs. The information regarding the construction details of the product is required to be submitted by the manufacturers such as:
- Schematic diagram.
- PCB layout.
- List of critical components.
- User manual.
in the second part, factory documents and information to complete the BIS application form and process is required to be submitted, which is, all basic information related to the manufacturing unit:
- List of machinery.
- List of equipments.
- Copy of trademark registration.
- Organizational chart of the factory.
- Factory’s legal address proof.
- Authorized Indian Representative (AIR) documents, when the manufacturer is from outside India.
It will take approximately 30 to 35 days to complete the BIS registration procedure which included the testing time of 15 to 20 days and the BIS application processing time that is 10 to 15 days.
What is the Validity of BIS Registration?
The BIS registration is valid for a period of 2 years and can be renewed if the product and standards are not changes. The License renewal is done for a minimum period of 1 year and maximum period of up to 5 years. Even though the renewal is based on the annual license fee and advance minimum marking fee, but in cases where the renewal application is made beyond the prescribed renewal period then the applicant is required to pay the late fee for the renewal of the application, which shall be five thousand rupees.
BIS registration is important to ensure that the product sold by the manufacturers holds a certain standard and quality and can be relied upon by the consumers for its consumption and utilization. The purpose of BIS is to examine the samples of the products when they are at the preliminary and surveillance stage ensuring that it is fulfilling the criteria of standardization. BIS certification is a means for providing a guarantee of quality, safety and reliability of the products to the consumers. The purpose of BIS registration is taking into consideration the health of the public and hence, there is a need to register certain products under BIS.