How to Get BIS Registration Certificate in India?
Nowadays, people are considerate while purchasing any goods from the market. High quality has become the foremost priority for any customer. A Mark or Logo that certifies the safety, reliability and quality of a product is BIS. The Government of India has mandate BIS certification for 92 products to safeguard the public interest. An individual who commences the activities of trade, sale, export or import of electronics items needs to have the BIS certificate. This write-up will provide a guide to obtain BIS Registration Certification for a product in India.
An overview of BIS Certification
BIS or Bureau of Indian Standards is the national standard body which has standardization as its core aspect. It has set a wide range of laboratories on regional, central and branch level to ensure the quality of certain goods. The primary objective of such laboratories is to validate the sample products and reject the ones which do not meet the standard quality prescribed under the BIS Act, 2016.
The technical committees of BIS have formulated more than 19500 standards for Indian products. BIS Registration Certificate provides traceable and tangible benefits to validate the safety of a product. It avails safe, reliable & quality goods, minimizes health hazards to consumers, promotes export/import substitute through testing, standardization and Certification.
Products that require mandatory BIS Registration Certificate
Though the Bureau of Indian Standards is voluntary in nature, yet Government has made it compulsory to have BIS Certification to sell or manufacture some goods and products which are as follows:
- Household electrical goods
- Diesel engines
- Oil pressure stoves
- Food and related products
- Cylinders, Valves and Regulators
- Automobile accessories
- Steel Products
- Medical Equipment
- Electrical Transformers
- Fertilizers and Chemicals
- Leather and Wood Products
Types of BIS Certification Schemes
BIS scheme holds a significant position in the world with over 26500 Licensees for more than 900 products. BIS Registration Certificate enables the manufacturers to utilize ISI Mark on their product. Bureau of Indian Standards guarantees the supreme quality of manufactured products. Moreover, the Government runs different types of BIS schemes to maintain the manufacturing quality of various products on a domestic and international level. Until now, BIS has granted about 350 Licenses to 50 Indian Standards in 40 different countries. Thus, let’s look at the numerous schemes under which BIS Certificate is issued:
- Normal procedure for Domestic Manufacturer Scheme- This method applies to the domestic manufacturers wherein, an applicant has to submit the Application along with all essential documents and fees. Therefore, BIS Officer shall carry out a preliminary factory evaluation and grant BIS Certification, once satisfied. The entire process completes within 4 to 6 months of Application submission.
- Simplified procedure for Domestic Manufacturer Scheme – In this procedure, the applicant/manufacturer submits a report of his product’s sample test in a BIS approved lab along with the Application. If BIS Officer finds the test reports to be satisfactory, then he will verify the factory premises for further validation. Under this method, the License is granted within 30 days of BIS Certification Application submission with the required documents and test report.
- Eco Mark Scheme- Bureau of Indian Standards has segregated the issue of BIS License for eco-friendly products under the Eco Mark Scheme. All the eco-friendly products must conform to the additional requirements prescribed in Indian Standards to attain ECO Mark. The procedure for issuance of BIS License in this scheme is similar to the normal and simplified procedure of Domestic Manufacturer’s Scheme.
- Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme- As the name suggests, this scheme facilitates the overseas manufacturers/applicants to get standard Mark within 6 months.
- Tatkal Scheme- Those manufacturers who require mandatory BIS standard Mark as per Government can consider applying under the Tatkal Scheme. In the scheme, the Application is processed on a priority basis and within strict timelines of 30 days.
Functions of BIS
Documentation for BIS Registration is divided into two parts:
Technology information of the products
- PCB Layout;
- Schematic Diagram;
- User Manual;
- Critical Component List (CCL).
Information about the factory
- Legal address proof of the factory such as a copy of Manufacturing License;
- A copy of Trademark or Brand Name Registration;
- The organizational chart of the factory (details of management and QA team);
- List of the machinery used to manufacture the products;
- List of equipment used in the factory;
- Documents of (AIR) Authorized Indian Representative, (in case of the foreign manufacturer).
The process to get BIS Registration Certificate in India
Follow the simple steps given below to procure a BIS standard Mark for the business:
- The first step is to get the product tested from any BIS recognized laboratory that takes 15 days. The Test Report must be issued in the name of an applicant and a manufacturing unit. It should also inscribe a complete address of the production unit.
- Prior to submitting BIS Registration Application, the applicant must ensure that Test Report is duly assessed and complete.
- Now download and fill the Application Form Number VI and VII from the official BIS website.
- Submit all the specified documents and Test Reports with the Application. The Test Reports should not be older than 90 days from the date of applying. Also, it is essential to submit the hard copies of the documents within 15 days at the concerned BIS Branch Office.
- If the applicant is a foreign manufacturer with no branch office or liaison office located in India, then the Forms are required to be signed by the Authorized Indian Representative (AIR), appointed as per the guidelines of BIS.
- The manufacturers or applicants must apply for a separate Registration Number in case they are manufacturing products at different locations. Also, if a product is being produced under multiple brands, then each brand has to be registered separately.
- Once the Application is filed and submitted, BIS Officers will verify the documents and grant Registration Certificate within 15 days.
- A BIS Registration Certificate is valid for two years and can be renewed before the expiry date if there is no change in the standard of that registered product.
In a nutshell, BIS Certification holds vital importance in the trading and manufacturing business. It not only certifies the quality of goods but also helps a business to win customer’s trust.
If you want to obtain the BIS standard Mark for your product, take the assistance of Swarit Advisors. We provide product-specific assistance, helps in preparing documents, filing Application etc.