In the lending world, banks / financial institutions have been a common norm insisting on borrowers taking dishonour of post-dated check as security. These post-dated check (PDC's) were astras (weapons)...
In India, there are certain products that contain the ISI mark on its packaging, and we use these products in our daily life. But many of us don’t know what the mark truly means.
ISI stands for Indian Standard Institute. ISI mark refers to a certified mark which is used for industrial items sold in India. Industrial items are the items used by a company for the business purpose. It assures that the product which you are buying is safe to use and is of good quality.
In this blog, we will help you to know more about ISI registration process and its different aspects.
What is ISI Mark registration?
ISI mark registration is mandatory for all the certifying products sold in India. The mark is meant for better quality and safety of the products. The Products having ISI indicate that products are in compliance with the Indian standard quality. Through getting ISI certification on your products, you are eligible to expand your business. If products sold in India don’t have ISI, then those products cannot be sold within the territory of India.
Purpose of ISI Registration
The purpose of ISI registration is to
- Provide quality assurance of any product or good;
- Increase the confidence of the customer while buying the good;
- Provide a safeguard to the health of the customer.
Is it mandatory to obtain ISI Mark?
The government of India, as well as Bureau of Indian Standard, makes it mandatory to obtain ISI on certain products sold in India. Those products include electrical appliances as well as industrial items. However, from September 2012 ISI is compulsory for certified steel products and steel items.
Who is Authorized to issue ISI mark?
ISI certifies that a product is made as per the Indian Standard. Bureau of Indian Standards(BIS) is an authorized body for the issuance of the mark.
List of the Products that require ISI Registration
For the following products, ISI registration is mandatory :
- Steel products
- Electrical Transformers
- Food Products
- Cylinders, valves, and regulators
- Electrical motors
- Stainless Steel plate
- Clinical thermometer
- Packaged Drinking water
- Steel wire and steel sheets
- Kitchen Appliances
Benefits of ISI Mark
There are numerous benefits of ISI mark. The list of the benefits of ISI is described below:
- It helps to increase the satisfaction of the customer.
- Where the customer is unsatisfied with the product’s quality, then the company selling the product will exchange the product with a new one.
- For every customer, the mark makes it possible to get the best quality of the product.
- If any customer finds that the product having ISI is of bad quality, then the customer can take action against the manufacturer of the product.
- It helps the manufacturers and owners of the product to increase their business.
ISI Registration Process
As we discussed above, ISI registration is compulsory. If you are thinking to obtain ISI registration, then you have to follow the below steps:
1. Choose the product code
- Firstly, you are required to select the product quality as prescribed in the Indian Standard Institute.
- Identify an ISI standard code for your product
2. Filing of Application Form
- After choosing the product code, in the next step, you have to file the file the registration application form. (Form-V) .
- Affix all the necessary documents along with the application form.
- In this step, you need to pay fees as required for the certification and inspection of your factory premise.
3. Inspection of the Factory premise
- Upon successful submission of the application, Inspection team and the persons authorized by the Government will visit the factory premise.
- The inspection team and authorized person will inspect the factory premise and quality control process.
- The inspection team will take some samples of your product and good for testing in BIS approved lab.
4. Collect the Test report
- Get lab test report of the sample done by the inspection
- Submit the lap report to BIS.
5. Issuance of ISI registration certificate
BIS, after proper verification of the testing report and application form, will issue a registration certificate.
How much time is required to get ISI registration certificate?
Generally, it takes 30 days from the date of submission of an application to get ISI registration certificate.
Documents required for ISI registration
If you are willing to take ISI registration, then you have to submit certain documents as described below:
- Registration certificate of the company
- Receipt of Property tax
- Insurance policy
- If the property is rented, then submit the rent agreement
- Telephone bill
- Electricity bill
- Bank statement
- Aadhar card of the directors of the company
- Voter ID card
- Driving License
- Copy of test reports
- List of Manufacturing machinery
- Copies of calibration certificates of testing equipment
Levy of Penalty for Falsification of ISI mark
Where it finds that manufacture of any goods or products counterfeits the registered mark, then a penalty of Rs. 50,000 along with imprisonment up to one year will levy on that manufacturer.
ISI stands for Indian Standard Institute. Registration of the mark is mandatory for the manufacturer of products or goods. A product having ISI ensures that the product is safe to use. The mark gives assurance to the customer that the product is of good quality. However, ISI helps to maintain a good relationship between the manufacturer and the customer.