What is the Procedure of FSSAI Online Application in India?
Dashmeet Kaur | Updated: Feb 11, 2020 | Category: FSSAI
Food Safety and Standards Authority of India is an autonomous regulatory body which oversees the functions of Food business. Any entrepreneur who wants to commence a business in Food industry must file an FSSAI Online Application to register itself. FSSAI monitors all the activities of Food business operator like food packaging, manufacturing, distribution or processing under strict guidelines of FSSAI Act, 2006. This write-up entails a complete knowledge regarding FSSAI License and its procedure.
Importance of FSSAI License to run Food Business
FSSAI License is a permit that affirms to the excellent quality of food in the business. A certified food business operator reaps several benefits that are often overlooked. Therefore, let’s dig into the crux of the matter and perceive all the benefits of FSSAI License:
- Create a positive image in the customer’s mind– The consumers are more vigilant about the quality of food they consume in today’s scenario. Therefore, having an FSSAI License can be extremely beneficial for the food operators as it helps them to gain more customer base.
- Legal support– Many food businesses consider FSSAI Online Application procedure as a daunting task; thus, they try to avoid it. However, a leading legal consultancy can ease the entire process. It is advisable to procure FSSAI License beforehand rather than bearing the repercussions later.
- Pathway to business expansion– It might seem that there is no need to register under FSSAI in the initial stage of food business when it is on a small scale. To enlarge a business at an extensive level, one must have FSSAI License which enables a food operator to establish his reputation across different areas. Moreover, it also makes it easier to access bank loans for business expansion.
- Use of FSSAI logo– Once FSSAI Online Application gets approved; you can utilize FSSAI logo in your restaurant menu to publicize the superior quality of your food. It also gives an edge to your business over other food operators who do not possess License. The logo is a symbolic of best quality food that matches up to FSSAI standards.
Types of Food Licenses in India
Food Safety and Standards Authority (FSSAI) issues three different types of food Licenses:
- Basic FSSAI Registration- All small-sized food business operators like distributors, storage units, retailers, transporters marketers, manufacturers etc. must register under Basic FSSAI. State Government issues Basic FSSAI License which is valid for a 1 year to 5 years. This License is usually applicable for the units with an annual turnover of less than INR 12 lakh.
- State FSSAI License- Food business operators who are small to medium-sized transporters, manufacturers, marketers, retailers, distributors need to obtain State FSSAI License. The respective State Government issues this License to those entities which have an annual turnover of more than INR 12 lakh. Moreover, the minimum tenure of State FSSAI license is one year while the maximum is 5 yrs.
- Central FSSAI License- Food business operators who have a turnover of more than INR 20 crores such as large export-oriented units, manufacturers, importers etc., are required to attain a Central FSSAI License. If a food business operator has offices in multiple states, then he must obtain Central License for his head office. Central Government issues this License which is valid for one year to 5 years.
Checklist of documents needed for FSSAI License
An applicant of FSSAI License should submit the documents mentioned below along with FSSAI Online Application:
- Identity proof such as PAN card of the food business operator;
- Latest passport-size photographs of the food operator,
- Address proof like Electricity Bill/Utility Bill;
- Form-B duly signed and completed by the Proprietor/ Partner/Authorized Signatory;
- No-Objection Certificate (NOC) from the owner, if the office is rented;
- Certificate of Incorporation/Partnership Deed;
- Comprehensive details of the food category that shall be manufactured, in case the applicant is a manufacturer;
- NOC from the Municipal Corporation or Local Body;
- A copy of the Certificate obtained from the Ministry of Tourism (HRACC) which is compulsory for the hotels;
- The blueprint or layout of the processing unit depicting the dimensions and area allocation based on the operations (this applies to the manufacturers and processing units only);
- A copy of Certificate obtained under the Multi-State Cooperative Act, 2002 (if the proposed entity is cooperative).
- Food safety management system plan;
- Copy of Manufacturer License (for re-labellers and re-packers only);
- Sources of raw material for milk and meat (if applicable)
- Form IX;
Additional documents required for Central License
- Declaration form;
- NOC/PA document issued by FSSAI;
- The Ministry of Commerce Certificate for 100% EOU;
- Documents acting as proof for business turnover;
- IE CODE document is issued by Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) (applies to exporters and importers).
Procedure to apply FSSAI Online Application
Here is the step by step process to obtain a State or Central FSSAI License:
- File the Form B- An application in Form B is required to be filed to Food and Safety department on the official portal of FSSAI.
- Affix a self-declaration- The application must be annexed with a self-declaration/affidavit. After preparing all the necessary documents, you can submit it to FSSAI department.
- Issuance of FSSAI License- If the authority does not object the Application within seven days and finds it complete, the License will be issued. FSSAI Authority will grant a Registration Certificate along with Registration number.
- Renewal of License- As FSSAI License is only valid for 1 to 5 years, so Licensee should apply for the renewal after License expiry.
A one-stop legal and finance service provider for you can be Swarit Advisors. We specialize in easing the FSSAI Registration and Renewal process.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.