A Brief Overview of BEE Registration
On 01 March 2002, the BEE or Bureau of Energy Efficiency was set up by the Indian government under the Ministry of Power according to the provisions of The Energy Conservation Act, 2001; the purpose of rating the products based on their energy consumption is to control or lessen the energy consumption. BEE reflects the energy consumption of the electrical product through star rating; the higher the star rating, the lower the energy expenditure or more energy-efficient the outcome would be. The mission of BEE or Bureau of Energy Efficiency is to institutionalize energy efficiency programs, promote in-country delivery mechanisms and give energy efficiency leadership in all sectors of the country.
The Manufacturer must apply for BEE Registration in India and complete the product testing & documents required under the BEE to get the item qualified with a star rating (A Higher BEE Star Rating Means Higher Energy Saving).
The objectives of the BEE Registration
Following are some significant objectives of BEE Registration in India:-
- It provides suggestions and directions for national energy conservation activities.
- It establishes the process and systems to demonstrate, measure, and observe improvement in Energy Efficiency (EE).
- A public-private partnership demonstrates the EE.
- It coordinates the policies and programs for coherent utilization of energy with shareholders.
- Implementing the Energy Conservation Act required the support of the multilateral, bilateral, and private sectors.
Scope of Applicant in BEE Registration
Under the star labelling scheme of the Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE), only the Manufacturer, importer, or trader can apply for the license. The scope of each applicant define as given below:-
- Manufacturer: A product manufacturer can register himself with the star labelling scheme of BEE. However, one can only write one product category with a single brand under one login.
- Importer: Any Indian firm willing to import any product, which falls under the regime of BEE mandatory certification, has to undergo the BEE registration procedure according to the star labelling scheme of BEE. However, one importer can only register one product category with a single brand under one login.
- Trader: Any domestic trader trading domestically with the products, which fall under the regime of BEE compulsory certification, has to undergo the BEE Registration procedure according to the star labelling scheme of BEE. However, one trader can only register one product category with a single brand under one login.
Types of BEE Registration
There are two types of BEE Registration in India:-
- Mandatory Registration: following are the product lists that come under Mandatory BEE Registration:-
- LED Lamps;
- Direct Cool Refrigerator;
- Electric Geysers;
- Colour TV;
- Room Air Conditioners;
- Variable Capacity Inverter Air Conditioners;
- Tubular Florescent Lamp;
- Frost Free Registration;
- Distribution Transformer;
- Direct Cool Refrigerator;
- Voluntary Registration: Following are some product lists that come under Voluntary Registration:-
- Air Compressor;
- Diesel Generator;
- Ceiling Fans;
- Washing Machine;
- Microwave Ovens;
- Induction Motors;
- UHD Televisions;
- Solid State Inverter;
- Diesel Engine Driven Monosetpumps for Agricultural Purposes;
- Seep Freezers;
- Domestic LPG Stoves;
- Office Equipment such as scanner, printer, etc.;
- Solar Water Heaters;
- Agricultural Pump Sets;
- High Energy Li-Battery;
Required Documents for obtaining BEE Registration
Documents/information required by test lab:
- Sample(s) along with user manual
- Legal address proof of the Manufacturing Unit: Copy of Factory License mentioning the vital product as the scope of manufacturing & indicating the manufacturing unit address- in English and the original language.
- Copy of BIS License with a validity date and showing all applied models.
Documents required by BEE for Brand or Company registration:
- Covering letter
- Copy of online security deposit payment receipt
- Print out of online Brand registration application
- Copy of Brand / Trade Mark Registration
- Authority letter from Trade Mark owner if manufacturing unit is not the owner of Trademark / Brand
- Copy of MSME certificate (for Indian OEM only)
- The applicant is required to have a copy of a valid ISO 9001 certificate grant in the name & address of the manufacturing facility mentioned in the company registration form of the Manufacturer (in case of multiple manufacturing facilities, ISO of all the manufacturing facilities must be enclosed)
- Authorized signatory letter
- Copy of BIS License with a validity date and showing all applied models
Documents required by BEE for model registration:
- Covering letter
- Copy of online model registration payment receipt
- Copy of online application form other forms (s)
- Original Test Report
- Specimen of BEE Label
The procedure required for the BEE Registration
The following steps need for the BEE Registration:-
Step 1: Submit the sample and technical documents to NABL accredited lab for testing and get the test report.
Step 2: Compile the essential documents and register the Brand on the BEE portal along with online remittance of the security deposit fee.
Step 3: Submit the hard copy of the application with all enclosures to BEE duly signed by the authorized signatory.
Step 4: If BEE seeks clarification & additional details, furnish the same.
Step 5: On approval of Brand or Company Registration, BEE will activate the link for model registration.
Step 6: Fulfil the online Application Form.
Step 7: Compile the essential details and documents and upload the same to the BEE portal.
Step 8: Make the online payment of the model registration fee to BEE.
Step 9: Submit the hard copy of the application with all enclosures duly signed by the Authorized Signatory along with Specimen of BEE Label, as applicable.
Step 10: If BEE is satisfied, it approves the application and issues the permission to affix the label.
Note: BEE Registration validates three years from the issue date and can renew subsequently. We will need some documents & fees to get a renewal.
Important information to consider after the registration procedure
- The Manufacturer must submit the registered model-wise date of products manufactured & imported information quarterly, certified by Independent CA.
- The Manufacturer also has to ensure that the registered model is available for a minimum of 1 year. During this time, the particular model of the product is not withdrawn.
- Information regarding the model's availability in the country is to be submitted to BEE and is not withdrawn.
- Suppose no production carry out in the first months of the Registration. In that case, the permittee must revalidate and confirm that production has begun to BEE, and the above condition would apply. This process would continue until the label's validity or for three years.
How Will SWARIT Advisors help you?
SWARIT Advisors an enterprise that cooperates to assist in all your legal and economic requirements being fulfilled by linking with you to skilled experts in the field. Clients seeking help from Swarit advisors always receive an excellent response to our provided legal services because we focus on simplifying the legal requirements.
If a client who seeks assistance from Swarit Advisors has questions regarding the legal procedure for acquiring BEE Registration, Swarit Advisors experts have a quick response rate. Swarit Advisors ensures that the clients' communication with our experts is always excellent & seamless.
Frequently Asked Questions
This Registration is required to illustrate a product's performance level and electricity usage.
According to the BEE Star Labelling Scheme, the fee for Model Registration under the model is Rs. 2000/-, which is paid online to the respective Authority during Model Registration.
A Star Label on a product or item acts as an energy efficiency guide for the end customer before purchasing a product or item in India. Star Label provides various criteria for comparing two identical products but different energy efficiency.
Timeline for BEE Registration:
- For Brand Registration:20-40 working days
- For Model Registration:20-30 working days
There are 19 products, including Li-ion batteries and tires, under the Mandatory Registration scheme of BEE.
There are ten products, including Li-ion batteries and tires, under the Mandatory Registration scheme of BEE.
It ranges from 1 to 5 in the ascending order of energy efficiency is provided to products or items registered with the Bureau.