What is Copyright Registration?
Copyright Registration confers upon its owner exclusive rights to copy or reproduce the work or allow or give permission to another person to do so. Copyright is ordinarily possessed by the creator of the work. Copyrights are also transferable.
Is copyright required to be registered?
Copyright registration protects the rights of the inventors in the case of an infringement. This is legal protection that no other can misuse the copyrighted of writer or creator in any form of prescribed work without the consent of the owner.
Copyright identifies the exclusive rights of the owner over an original/ unique work. Such as Music, books, development of software, making films, fashion designs, brochures, and training manuals all enjoy copyright protection, even without copyright registration.
Registering the work with the registrar of the copyright office is essentially a copyright protection insurance policy. It produces a public record of the work done and also you can subsequently sue anyone for copyright violation made. copyright registration is only considered as prima facie evidence if done within 5 years of the creation of the work.
Reasons to Copyright Registration
1. Registration ensures legal protection
2. It also secures goodwill
3. It also restricts unlawful reproduction of the work of the creator
4. global protection as copyright in India is recognized virtually worldwide
5. copyright registration helps in creation of assets i.e. and intangible assets and can be sold, franchised or commercially contracted
Just 4 Steps in Process for Copyright Registration
Copyright application needs to be prepared and it takes approx. 2 to 4 working days
After filing of an application, diary no. is issued and then applicant has to wait for next 30 days for objections.
In case of no objection, scrutinize r will examine the application, and if no discrepancy is found then registration is approved by the registrar.
After the application is approved by the registrar, extracts will be send by registrar to the applicant.
How long does copyright protection last?
The copyright protection is valid for life + 60 years after the death of the creator/author/owner.
Work in which copyright subsists?
Copyright shall subsist throughout India in the following class of works, i.e. to say
- Cinematography film
- Sound recording
- Dramatic, musical
- Artistic work
- Original literary others
Meaning of copyright
It means the special right to do or give consent to the doing of any of the following acts in respect to the provisions of this Act, namely
In the case of a literary, dramatic or musical work, which is not being a computer program, to replicate the work in any material form including the following:
- To issue copies of the work to the public not being copies already in circulation.
- To perform the work in public, or communicate it to the public.
- To make any cinematography film or sound recording in respect of the work.
- To make any translation of the work.
- To make any adaptation of the work.
- To do, in relation to a translation or an adaptation of the work, any of the acts specified and others.