What is Eating House License?
Eating House License is the permit required to operate an eating house for/in a particular location.
To obtain this License, the applicant needs to make an Application to the State Police Headquarters and the Police Commissioner of the particular city.
Generally, an eating house is a place which serves various kind of food and drinks to the general public for consumption such as restaurants, café, bar etc.
According to Food Safety and Standards Act (FSSA), 2006, every food business operator (FBO) must obtain FSSAI License or he may be subject to penalty.
Apart from this, there are several other Licenses as well which is mandatory to run an eating house.
Licenses Required to Operate an Eating House in India
As already stated, FBO requires several Licenses to operate an eating house in India. They are as follows:
- Business Registration
The applicant needs to register his/her business and obtain Certificate of Registration or Incorporation.
- Food/FSSAI License
It is the first requirement to start an eating house in India which is issued by the department of Food Safety and Standards Authority of India.
- Eating House License
It can be obtained from Police Commissioner of the concerned state in which the applicant wishes to open the eating house.
- Health Trade License
It can be obtained from Municipal Corporation of the specific state.
- Fire NOC
For eating houses with the seating capacity of 50 or more, Fire NOC is mandatory and can be obtained from Fire Department.
- Liquor License
If the eating house is going to serve liquor, then it requires Liquor License from Excise Commissioner of the state.
- Music License
To play music inside the eating house, you are required to obtain Music License from the Phonographic Performance Limited (PPL).
- Lift Clearance NOC
If an eating house is in a multi-story building, then you need to obtain Lift Clearance NOC from Electrical Inspector of Office of Labour Commissioner.
- Environmental Clearance
To ensure that your business isn’t going to pollute the environment, you need to obtain NOC from Pollution Board of the concerned state.
- Registration under Shops & Establishment Act
It can be obtained from the concerned Authority of the specific state.
It is crucial for public liability, Company assets and Fire policy.
- Weights & Measures Department Approval
As per Legal Metrology Act, 2009, obtaining approval from Weights & Measures Department for models of weighing & measuring instrument is mandatory.
Documents required for an Eating House License
Before stepping to Licensing process, ensure that you have the following documents for eating house:
- Identity proof such as PAN card etc.;
- Residence proof such as Aadhaar card, Passport, Voter etc.;
- Proof of tenancy or ownership or lease of premise (Registered Lease/Sale Deed/Rent Deed);
- Self-attested NOC of premise owner;
- Current NDMC/DCB/MCD/Airport Operator Trade License;
- Certificate of Incorporation of Companies and LLP;
- Memorandum of Association of Company and LLP;
- Name of Directors and Current Form 32;
- The nomination of an Authorised signatory on the letterhead of Company;
- Board Resolution for conducting business;
- FSSAI License/Registration;
- GST Registration Certificate;
- Name of Directors and Form 32;
- Registration Certificate obtained from Labour Department, GNCT of Delhi;
- Fire Safety Certificate is applicable for the eating houses with a seating capacity of 50 seats and more;
- List of employees working in the eating house including food handlers along with their name, parentage and address;
- DPCC Consent Letter (Provisional License is provided on the basis of an Application submission proof);
- Approved building plan or site plan along with 3 copies plus Fire Safety Measures mentioned on map (applicable for the eating houses with the seating capacity less than 50);
- Self-attested prescribed Affidavit for fresh License;
- Police Clearance Certificate (PCC);
- Request for holding amusement activities like DJ, Live Band Discotheque;
- Proof of CCTV system installed along with 30 days recording such as the technical report of an installation or an invoice of CCTV etc.;
- Proof of the earmarked space for an eating house such as photographs etc.;
- Any other documents, if required.
Note: The list is not exhaustive. We may require more documents for the completion of the process.
Basic steps to obtain Eating House License
You can obtain an Eating House License in just three simple steps as follows:
- Step 1: Fill the Application:
You are required to apply for online Eating House Registration in the prescribed Application Form.
- Step 2: Upload the required documents:
You need to upload the necessary documents required to obtain an Eating House License along with the required declaration.
- Step 3: Document verification:
After document submission, you must go to Addl. Commissioner of Police Licensing, Delhi (or of your concerned state) for an Application and documents verification.
- Step 4: Regular follow-up:
Next, you need to keep a regular follow-up with the concerned department for the updates regarding your Application. In case, your Application is incomplete or mala fide, it will be rejected with misrepresented facts. Furthermore, if you have paid the fees, it will be forfeited by the government.
- Step 5: Issuance of License:
If everything is valid and complete, you will receive License within 30-60 working days.
Validity of the Registration Certificate
The validity of the Registration Certificate stands valid for the period, as defined by the Registering Authority which is subject to the validity of Health/Trade License issued by the specific local civic body and conditions in each particular case like the Name change, Fire NOC etc.
Frequently Asked Questions
According to the order of delegation of Power issued by Commissioner of Police, Delhi vide No. 83-182/Spl.Cell/PHQ dated 01.02.08, Addl. Commissioner of Police, Licensing, Delhi is the Registration Authority to issue License for the eating houses
The registering Authority has the power to issue the directions regarding Eating House License.
The validity of an Eating House License is valid for the period, as defined by the registering Authority which is subject to validity of Health/Trade License issued by the specific local civic body and conditions in each particular case like Name change, Fire NOC etc.
Yes, it can be transferred if Certificate holder dies or any other situations, as deemed fit by the Registering Authority.
For every new Certificate or License, Registration fee payable shall be Rs. 300/- which is subject to revision. However, for the renewal of License, it is Rs. 100/- which is again subject to revision.
If anybody has lost, defaced or destroyed Registration Certificate by any means, then he can again make an Application to Registering Authority (along with the lost reports, in case it is lost). If Authority finds it fit, it may issue the duplicate copy of Certificate on making the prescribed payment.