Overview of Hallmark Registration
In India, mostly women have been more interested in gold for years, and gold is always a very safe & secure investment for Indian local during a tough time. Hence, to protect users from adulteration and obligate jewellers to maintain jewellery purity, the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) started a jewellers Registration scheme. BIS established the Gold Hallmarking scheme in 2000 & a Silver Hallmarking Scheme in 2005. According to the scheme, the BIS Hallmark Registration is mandatory to sell or manufacture gold and silver jewellery. Because without duly examination or mark, it is not viable to identify the purity of gold by quickly looking at it. Thus, the BIS Hallmark registration can reduce these concerns by providing all the vital information and confirming the purity of the gold.
What is Hallmarking?
It is the correct determination & official recording of the equivalent content of precious metals (such as gold and silver) in precious metals articles. Thus, hallmarking schemes are to safeguard the public against adulteration & to obligate all the manufacturers to maintain legal standards of fineness. In India, mainly two metals, gold and silver, have been conducted under hallmarking.
The hallmarking scheme has been lined up with the international basis of hallmarking. As per the hallmarking scheme, BIS grant a hallmark registration to the jewellers. The BIS permits jewellers to get their jewellery hallmarked from any BIS recognised centres.
Importance of Hallmark Registration Certification
- It quickly boosts your business;
- It gives a purity guarantee to jewellery products;
- It provides users contentment and raises trust among customers;
- The Certification added value to the precious stone & trust in jewellery;
- Deliver legal defence against any violation.
The different marks of a BIS Hallmark.
- The old procedure of Hallmarking Gold:
- BISA Mark or Logo: this mark shows that a third party or independent assessor has adequately evaluated the decoration & validated the quality of the metal. In most instances, one of the BIS certified labs validates it. The BIS is the only government-approved organisation for a hallmarking gold accessory.
- Purity grade: there are two ways to notice the purity of gold; one is karats, which KT and the fineness number denote. Therefore, the highest grade of gold is 24KT (purest), but it is too soft to be utilised in ornamentation or jewellery. Many other metals, such as zinc or copper, are added to gold to create long-lasting jewellery or adornment.
- Hallmarking centres mark the hallmarking Certification of the marking centre or third-party appraiser. The label is stamped in each product in the centre and is examined for purity of silver & gold. This is done so that the product may get back to the centre if any unpredictability arises afterwards.
- Jeweller mark: this is the manufacturer of jewellery mark on the metal article, and each BIS certified jeweller's ornament bears a unique jeweller BIS hallmark Logo. All such markings are willingly visible on the jewellery.
- Marking year: this appears like the year the object was labelled or hallmarked. A letter of code assigned by BIS recognises the marking year.
- The new procedure of hallmarking of gold:
The BIS has established a new procedure for marking jewellery. The new procedure contains a Unique Identification Number, and a Hallmarking of gold jewellery would be mandatory across the nation. After fulfilling the norms & conditions of the Hallmark Registration Certificate as identified in rules 5 of the BIS (Hallmarking) Regulations, 2018, valuable articles of gold marked with Hallmark will be sold only by registered jewellers via certified sales outlets. The list of licensed jewellers can be acquired by selecting the state or region and IS Number.
Type of BIS Hallmarking Registration Certificate
In India, there is two types of BIS Hallmarking Registration Certificate, and you can examine the same below:
- BIS Registration for Jewellers or Showroom: BIS Hallmark Registration is mandotaryfor jewellers to manufacture or sell gold & silver jewellery. Under the Hallmarking Scheme, BIS grants Hallmarking to jewellers for the specified place. Jeweller those who wants to sell BIS Hallmarked gold jewellery, first receive Hallmark Registration by BIS for each of their sales outlets. BIS-regis jewellers can have their jewellery hallmarked at BIS Assaying & Hallmarking Centres.
- BIS Registration of Assaying & Hallmarking Centre: A Hallmarking Centre is a BIS certified marking centre or third party evaluation centre the purity of precious metals is examined & stamped. BIS recognition is required for the centre, and the A&H centre can apply for BIS Registration.
Different Types of forms for Hallmark Registration
Form-I: This application form is for the obtain of a Hallmark Registration Certificate for Jewellers to sell Hallmarked articles.
Form-IV: Application for identification of Assaying & Hallmarking Centre according to IS 15820.
Form-V: Affidavit cum undertaking submitted by Assaying & Hallmark Centre for BIS identification.
Form-VII: The renewal application of identification of Assaying & Hallmarking Centre as per IS 15820
Form-VIII: Application for grant of certificate to use the Hallmark.
Form-XIII: Renewal Application of certificate.
Schedule-II: Fee for Grant & Recognition of Assaying & Hallmarking Centre.
Schedule-V: Fee for Grant of License to Refinery/Mint.
Documents Required for Hallmark Registration
Following are some significant documents required for Hallmark Registration:
- Proof of Establishment:
- Certificate of Registration grant by Registrar of companies along with MOA.
- Registered or Notarized Partnership Deed in case of the applicant is a Partnership Firm.
- GST Registration Certificate indicates the status of the firm as a proprietorship firm.
- Certificate from a CA (Chartered Accountant), if an applicant is a proprietorship firm or any other document like trade license indicating firm as a proprietorship.
- Address Proof Of Company or Firm:
- Registration with State Government Authority.
- GST registration certificate.
- Income tax assessment order.
- A latest property tax receipt
- Rent agreement with last rent receipt.
- Sale/Lease Deed agreement.
- Proof of Identity:
- Aadhar Card
- PAN Card
- Voter Identity
- Identity Certificate with photo issued by Gazetted Officer on official letterhead.
- Aadhar based verification/ e-signature
- Self-certified copy of the following documents as an identity proof of signatory on the application.
- Map indication:
Location of premises from the same nearest prominent landmark for every outlet, as applicable.
- Annual Turnover:
- Self-certified copy of GST return of the previous financial year or a certificate grant by CA for turnover.
- In addition, in the case of a corporate certificate of registration, if the applicant has only one GST return, then the firm may be asked to submit a certificate by CA mentioning the turnover of every outlet.
Procedure for Hallmark Registration in India
Following are some significant steps for the Process of the Hallmark Registration:
Step 1: Prepare Documents: we will help you prepare and arrange all the essential documents for the certification.
Step 2: filing out of application: once we prepare all the documents, we must file an e-application for the registration on your behalf.
Step 3: examination: once we submit the application and documents and the prescribed fees. Then, the inspector of the concerned BIS department will conduct an inspection.
Step 4: Issuance Of Certificate: the inspector is fully satisfied, and they will grant a Hallmark Registration license, and the same we will send you by email.
Note: The validity of the Hallmark Registration is for five years.
How will SWARIT Advisors help you?
Swarit and their legal team will help you in getting Hallmark Registration Certificate.
Frequently Asked Questions
Hallmarking is the accurate determination & official recording of the equivalent content of precious metal (gold & silver) in precious metal articles.
In India, two precious metals, gold & silver, are hallmarked.
In India, BIS operates the Hallmarking scheme.
Karats or KT and Fineness Number are two ways to know the purity of gold.
A Hallmarking registration certification for gold jewellery was introduced in the year 2000. The BIS grant various numbers as grades, which help recognise which is purer, so the gold purity grades show how much pure the gold is. For example, degree999 is 24-carat gold, which is pure gold.
BIS Hallmark certification for silver jewellery was introduced in 2005. The BIS follow 2112 to issue hallmark certification for silver jewellery and artefacts.