Overview of BIS CRS Registration
Compulsory Registration Scheme (CRS) is regulated under scheme -2 of the Bureau of Indian Standards (Conformity Assessment) Regulation, 2018. In the year 2012, CRS Scheme was firstly presented with Fifteen product categories by the Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology, and manufacturers must get BIS CRS Registration Certificate for electronic products before introducing them into the market, as we can see the significant growth of licenses under the BIS CRS Registration.
In 2014, fifteen new Electronics product categories were added by the Ministry of Electronics and information technology. In October 2016, the ministry notified the Indian standard for Indian language support for mobiles. In addition, in 2017, the electronics and information technology ministry added thirteen new electronics product categories. In September 2017, the new & renewal energy ministry notified five more products under the solar photovoltaics, systems, devices & components goods (Requirements for compulsory registration order), 2017.
According to the compulsory registration order, no one can manufacture the store for sale, import, or distribute products that don't follow the Indian standard specified and don't carry the standard mark with a unique registration number obtained from the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS).
What is CRS under BIS?
The compulsory registration scheme (CRS) was first introduced by the electronics and information technology ministry for electronic products and IT products. At present, 76 products are under this scheme. Those who are storing, selling, manufacturing, importing or distributing electronic products under the product list can apply for the BIS CRS Registration. The manufacturers of electronics products must apply for this registration after getting their products tested from the BIS recognised labs.
After BIS registers, the manufacturers under the BIS CRS Registration scheme can declare that they conform to the Indian standards. After the entity is successfully registered, they are granted to use the standard mark as informed by the BIS CRS Registration is issued to the applicant.
List of Products Covered under Compulsory Registration Scheme
Following is the list of products that necessary a BIS CRS Registration Certificate in India:
- Amplifiers with input power 2000 Watts & above
- Automatic data processing machine
- Electronic clocks
- Electronic video games
- Electronic musical systems along with input power of 200 Watts & above
- Laptop or Notebook or Tablet
- Microwave ovens
- Optical disc players with built-in amplifiers of input power 200 Watts & above
- Plasma or LCD, or LED TVs of screen size 32 inches and above
- Printers, Plotters
- Telephone answering machines
- Set-top box
- Visual display units, monitor of screen size 32 inches & above
- Wireless keyboards
- Cash registers
- Copying machines or duplicators
- Passport reader
- Point of sale (PoS) terminals
- Mail processing machines or franking machines, or postage machines
- Power banks
- Smart card reader
- Mobile phones or smartphones
- Self-ballasted LED lamps
- DA or AC supplied electronic control gear for LED modules
- Power adaptors for video, audio and identical electronic devices
- Power adaptors for its apparatus
- Fixed overall purpose-led luminaires
- UPS for computers or investors of rating <= 5KVA
- Sealed secondary calls or batteries containing alkaline/other non-acid electrolytes for use in portable application
- Indian language support for mobile phones
- Recessed LED Luminaries
- LED Flood Lights
- LED Handlamps
- LED Luminaires for Road & Street lights
- LED Lighting Chains
- LED Luminaires for Emergency lighting
- UPS or inverters of rating <= 10kVA
- CCTV Cameras or CCTV Recorders
- Adapters for household & identical electrical
- USB driven barcode readers, Iris scanners, optical fingerprint scanners, barcode scammers
- Crystalline silicon terrestrial photovoltaic (PV) modules (silicon-based)
- Thin-Film terrestrial (PV) modules (a-Si, CiGs & CdTe)
- Power inverters for photovoltaic power system
- Utility- Interconnected photovoltaic inverters
- Storage battery
- Independent LED Modules for General lighting
- Lighting chain (Rope lights)
- Induction stove
- Automatic teller cash dispensing machines
- USB Type External Hard Disk Drive
- Wireless headphones and earphones
- USB Type External Solid-State Storage Devices ( above 256 GB capacity)
- Electronic Musical System with input power below 200 Watts
- Standalone Switch Mode Power Supplies (SMPS) with an output voltage of 48V (max)
- Television other than plasma or LCD, or LED TVs
- Rice cooker
- Wireless Microphone
- Digital Camera
- Video Camera
- Webcam (Finished Product)
- Smart Speakers (with and without Display)
- Dimmers for LED items
- Bluetooth Speakers
- Low –Voltage switchgear and control-gear: switches, dis-connectors, switch dis-connectors & fuse- Combination units
- Low – Voltage switchgear and control gear: circuit – Breakers
- Low – Voltage Switchgear & control-gear: electromechanical contactors & motor – Starters
- Low – Voltage Switchgear & control-gear: AC semiconductor motor controllers & starters
- Low–Voltage Switchgear & control-gear: AC semiconductor motor controllers & contactors for non–motor loads
- Low –Voltage switchgear: electromechanical control circuit devices
- Low - Voltage Switchgear & control-gear proximity switches
- Low–Voltage Switchgear & control gear: electrical emergency stop devices along with mechanical latching function
- Ortho Phosphoric Acid
- Polyphosphoric Acid
Eligibility Criteria for the BIS CRS Registration
- Product in list: the product should be listed in the scheme.
- Manufacturing Sites: any individual or businessperson who wants the BIS CRS Registration should have manufacturing sites.
- Multiple BIS for multiple Brands: different BIS CRS Registration for the different electronic products.
Different Forms Required for BIS CRS Registration
Following are the forms required for BIS CRS Registration:
- Form-1: Application for grant of a new license.
- Form-2: Format for the undertaking of test reports.
- Form-3: Format for the affidavit.
- Form-4: Format for letter of nomination of AIR (Authorised Indian Representative)
- Form-6: Application for Renewal of License.
- Form-8A: Inclusion or Model Withdrawal.
- Form-8B: Change other details in the scope of the license.
Documents Required for BIS CRS Registration
Following are some significant documents required for BIS CRS Registration:
- Business license of the manufacturing unit (English language + Local Language).
- Scope of the Business License (English language + local language).
- ISO Certificate of the manufacturer.
- Authorisation latter (if the signatory person is other than the manufacturing facility).
- Trade Mark Certificate.
- Trade Mark Authorisation letter, in case the manufacturer does not own the Brand.
- A nomination letter of AIR.
- Testing documents (filled CDF and CCL).
- Technical specification sheet or product manual of the applied device.
Procedure for BIS CRS Registration
Following are the step for the procedure for BIS CRS Registration:
Step 1: Nomination of all India representatives.
Step 2: Portal Registration
Step 3: test request and testing from BIS recognised LAB.
Step 4: Documents preparation and application submission along with the test report.
Step 5: Departmental Scrutiny post submission of application.
Step 6: Grant of License.
Validity of BIS CRS Registration
BIS CRS Registration is valid for two years, and after two years, if there are no changes in the product and the standard of the product, it will go for the renewable Registration process.
Process of Lab testing for the BIR CRS Registration
Following is the list of documents for testing:
- CDF with Critical component list
- Appliance details
- PCB Layouts
- Circuit Diagram
- Enclosure Diagram
- Business licence
- Organisation chart
Guidelines for E-Labelling of the products under the BIS CRS Registration Scheme
- Devices using e-labels must have a physical label on the product's packaging during sale, import, distribution and storage. For devices in mass and not packets separately, a transferable adhesive label on the packaging is acceptable;
- The observance regarding information must be arranged by the responsible party, and the details must be secured in such a manner that 3rd party cannot modify them.
- All the administrative application details required on the packaging or user instructions must be provided as per the applicable rules, even if it is shown electronically;
- E-labelled devices must not require any tool or complemental plug-in to access the e-label;
- Customers must be able to access the details without requiring any special access codes or authorisation. In all the cases, the details must be accessible in more than 4 steps in a device’s menu;
- If other electronic media give the leading user manual/user guide, this information may also be given as part of the e-label;
- The directions to access the details may be available on the product website. The direction on how to access the website must be mentioned in the user’s manual or product package;
- Customers must be provided with particular directions on how to access the details. The directions must be contained in the user’s manual, operating instructions, or as an insert in the product package;
- The standard mark shown electronically must meet all the requirements issued by BIS.
Process for Renewal of the BIS CRS Registration
BIS CRS Registration number is granted initially for only 2 years, and at the end of 2 years, manufacturers can renew their registration for another 2 years. Following are the steps for the renewal of the BIS CRS Registration:
Step 1: fill out the application on the dashboard. Then apply on ‘request renewal’.
Step 2: fill in the details for the production report.
Step 3: Upload file in PDF format (giving names and addresses of significant distributors).
Step 4: Make payment.
Step 5: The foreign-registered customers having no liaison office or branch office located in India have to appoint Authorized Indian Representative (AIR) according to the guidelines issued by BIS in the mentioned nomination form.
Step 6: The AIR of registered customers located outside India has to submit an affidavit as mentioned in the guidelines.
Step 7: Submit a hard copy of the application and relevant documents within 15 days of online submission.
How will SWARIT help you?
We will help you in getting BIS CRS Registration Certificate without any inconvenience, and we will provide end-to-end services for all the Indian Regulatory Compliance.
Frequently Asked Questions
It’s the National Standard body of India set up under the BIS Act, 2016 to develop the activities of making standardisation and quality certification of products and for matters associated in addition to that.
Compulsory Registration Scheme, which was first introduced by the ministry of electronics and information technology for electronic and IT products.
Compulsory Regulation Scheme (CRS) is operated under Scheme- II of BIS (Conformity Assessment) Regulations, 2018.
The BIS certification for products is voluntary. However, the government of India has made it mandatory for certain products considering public health.
BIS is responsible for the harmonious development of standardisation, marking and quality certification of products and for matters connected in addition to that or incidental to it.