Overview of FSSAI Registration in Tamil Nadu
The term FSSAI or Food Safety and Standards Authority of India denotes a self-regulatory body that is based on the provisions of the FSS Act 2006. It is compulsory for all the Food Business Operators and entities or individuals dealing in the food sector to obtain FSSAI License from FSSAI. The process to acquire license may vary state to state, i.e., the process to obtain FSSAI Registration in Tamil Nadu will vary from the process followed in Uttar Pradesh. Further, the businesses engaged in Food Manufacturing, Processing, and Distribution needs to obtain FSSAI Registration on a mandatory basis as well. The person dealing in the Export and Import of Food Items requires to acquire Central FSSAI License on a mandatory basis.
Concept of Food Business Operators
The term FBO means a business entity or an individual who carries out any operation relating to the manufacture, storage, packaging, distribution, and sale of food and related items.
The said term includes export and import of food products, sale of food ingredients and additives, banquet halls that provide food catering services as well.
It is mandatory for all the FBO and the people having FSSAI License to comply with the provisions of the FSS Act 2006, together with the rules made thereunder. In case of any failure, the defaulter will be held liable to pay hefty penalties.
Concept of FSSAI License
The term FSSAI License signifies a 14 digits unique numeric code, which is issued to every Food Business Operators (FBO) operating in India. It comprises of five parts, and every part denotes different detail regarding the FBO, such as year of manufacture, state code, and producer’s permit.
It is obligatory for all FBOs to mention the issued FSSAI License Number on the label or food package of each item. The said FSSAI License number must be printed in the colour inverse to the colour used in the background.
Reasons to Obtain FSSAI Registration in Tamil Nadu
The reasons to obtain FSSAI Registration in Tamil Nadu are as follows:
- Ensures compliance of FSSAI prescribed Quality Benchmarks;
- Minimises the cases of Substandard Food Items;
- Increases Accountability towards Customers;
Benefits of FSSAI Registration in Tamil Nadu
The benefits of obtaining FSSAI Registration in Tamil Nadu are as follows:
- Increases Customer Base;
- Assists in Establishing Brand Name;
- Offers Growth Prospects;
- Provides Legal Enforcement in case of default;
- Acts a Mark of Assurance;
- Uplifts Customer Faith and Trust;
Conditions for FSSAI Registration in Tamil Nadu
The conditions for FSSAI Registration in Tamil Nadu can be summarised as:
- Applicant needs to be access to Licensing Authorities for the purpose of Inspection and Validation;
- All the Modifications and Changes must be intimated to the authorities;
- In the case of the production process, the applicant needs to appoint a technical person to supervise and manage the production process;
- Applicant needs to file the Annual Returns by the 31st May of that Financial Year;
- An applicant cannot deal in any product other than for which the license is granted;
- The Standards concerning Sanitisation and Hygiene must be maintained based on the standard prescribed in Schedule 4;
- Separate records need to be maintained for Raw Materials, Production, Sales;
- Raw Materials used must be of optimum quality;
- Manufactured Products must be properly stored in the premises;
- A proper clean in place mechanism should be installed in the premises;
- All the food products must be tested with the prescribed Microbiological and Chemical contaminants to check the purity of the product;
- During the entire supply chain, it is necessary to maintain the required temperature;
- A manufacturer, distributor, or importer who transacts with the licensed vendors needs to maintain the record of the same;
- Every hotel, restaurant, or food stalls who are engaged in serving savouries, sweets, and other food articles need to place a notice board specifying the list of items cooked in Vanaspati Ghee, Edible Oil, and Ghee;
- All the FBOs engaged in the sale of cooked food need to display a board concerning the nature of the goods sold;
- All the manufacturer, wholesalers, and dealers of the commodities, such as Butter, Vanaspati, Ghee, Edible Oils, De-oiled Meal, Solvent Extracted Oil, Flour, and other fats, need to maintain a register of the articles sold or received, manufactured, etc.;
- Label on the food packages must be properly displayed, together with the prescribed details;
Different Types of FSSAI Registration
In India, the different kinds of FSSAI Registration prevalent are as follows:
- Basic FSSAI Registration
Every individual who is working as Small Retailers, Suppliers, Food Manufacturers, Distributors, or the ones who are having an annual income of maximum Rs 12 lakh need to obtain Basic FSSAI Registration.
- State FSSAI License
Every Food Business Operator who is generating an annual turnover between Rs. 12 lakhs and Rs. 20 crores needs to apply for State FSSAI Registration.
The said Annual Turnover threshold will be applicable to FSSAI State Manufacturing License and FSSAI State Trading License as well.
- Central FSSAI License
Every Food Business Operator with an Annual Turnover of Rs. 20 crores or more must obtain the Central FSSAI License from FSSAI. Further, the business which are operating in either of the following must obtain this license as well:
a) Food Supply at Government Offices (both Central and State Government Offices);
b) Import of Food Products and related items;
c) Export of Food Products and related items;
Documents Required for FSSAI License in Tamil Nadu
The documents required to obtain FSSAI License in Tamil Nadu varies of the basis of parameters as follows:
- New License;
- Conversion License;
- Renewed License;
- Modification of the Existing License;
Documents required for obtaining New FSSAI License in Tamil Nadu
The documents required for obtaining New FSSAI License in Tamil Nadu are as follows:
- Application Form in Form B;
- Layout Plan of the Processing Unit;
- List of all the Directors/ Proprietors/ Partners/ Executive Members, together with their contact details and addresses;
- List of Equipment installed, together with their Utilization of Horsepower and Installation Capacity;
- Identity Proof of all the Directors/ Proprietors/ Partners/ Executive Members;
- List of the food items to be manufactured;
- Letter of Authority, together with the details, such as name and address of the person nominated by manufacturer;
- Chemical and Bacteriological Analysis Report for the ingredients used in the food product;
- Ownership proof from the premises being used as Registered Office;
- In the case of Partnership Firm, a copy of the registered partnership deed;
- In the case of Sole Proprietorship Firm, an Affidavit of Proprietorship;
- In the case of a company, a copy of the duly drafted Memorandum of Association (MOA);
- In the case of a Company, a copy of the duly drafted Articles of Association (AOA);
- In the case of Cooperative Societies, a copy of the Certificate of Society Registration;
- In the case of Re-labelers and Re-packers, an NOC (No Objection Certificate) and a copy of the license issued by the manufacturer;
- Certificate of Food Safety Management;
- Details concerning Milk Source and Procurement Plan;
- In the case of Meat Processing Unit, Details concerning Source of Raw Material for Meat Processing Plants;
- Analysis Report on Pesticide Residues from a recognized/ public health laboratory;
- NOC from the local body or municipality;
- Form 9 regarding the Nomination of Persons;
- A copy of the Certificate granted by the Ministry of Tourism;
- In the case of Delhi and Himachal Pradesh, a copy of the Declaration Form issued by the authorities;
- Supporting Document in the case of Annual Turnover;
- In the case of Transporters, self declaration regarding the vehicles used;
Procedure for FSSAI Registration in Tamil Nadu
The steps involved in the procedure to obtain FSSAI Registration in Tamil Nadu are as follows:
- Visit the Official Portal
In the first step, the applicant needs to visit the official FSSAI Portal for Tamil Nadu.
- Check the Eligibility Criteria
Now, in the next step, the applicant requires to check the eligibility criteria for obtaining FSSAI Registration in Tamil Nadu.
- Fill and Submit Form A
The applicant requires to fill in and submit Form A to obtain FSSAI Registration in Tamil Nadu.
- Login to the Account
Now, go back to the home page and login to the account, if the applicant needs to fill Form B for registration.
- Upload Necessary Documents and Make Fee Payment
In this step, the applicant requires to upload all the necessary documents on the portal, together with the payment of the fees prescribed. An application number will be generated, which the applicant need to keep with himself/ herself for future reference.
- Issuance of FSSAI License
If the authorities are well satisfied with the application form and documents submitted, it will issue a unique identification number, known as FSSAI License to the applicant.
Validity of Food License
An FSSAI License or Food License issued to an FBO remains valid for a period that ranges from one to five years. It is necessary for all the FBOs to apply for the renewal of FSSAI License at least 30 days prior to its expiry.
Who are all Exempted from Acquiring FSSAI License?
The individuals who do not require to obtain FSSAI Registration under the provisions of the Food Safety and Standards Act 2006 are as follows:
- A Petty Manufacturer;
- Small Scale FBOs;
- Petty Retailer;
- Itinerant Vendor;
- Cottage Food Industries;
- Temporary Stall Owner;
Fees for Obtaining FSSAI Registration in Tamil Nadu
Capacity of Production/ Type of Unit
Applicable Fee for Registration
If in case the total production capacity ranges more than 1 million tonnes per day
If in case the production capacity ranges between 10000 to 50000 litre per day of milk or 501 to 25000 million tonnes of milk solids in a year
If in case the production capacity is below 1 million tonnes of production
If in case the production capacity ranges between 501 to 10000 litre per day of milk or 2.5 million tonnes to 500 million tonnes of milk solids in a year
Hotels rated 4 stars or below
Food Service Providers
Frequently Asked Questions
An FSSAI License remains valid for 5 years, from the date of issuance.
FSSAI License Number is a 14 digits numeric code.
No, there is no necessity for a Petty Retailer to obtain any FSSAI License in India.
Yes, it is compulsory to get Central FSSAI License for importing food items in India.
The three different types of Food Registrations are the Basic FSSAI Registration, State FSSAI License, and Central FSAAI License.
Yes, it is compulsory for the Banquet Halls which are providing food services to obtain Central FSSAI License in India.
To check the status of the FSSAI Registration Application Form, one needs to visit the Official Website.
No, there is no necessity for a Hawker to obtain any FSSAI License in India.
Yes, In India, it is necessary for a Food Caterer to obtain State FSSAI Registration of the respective state in which he/ she wishes to commence its business operations.
The term FSSAI Logo denotes a mark printed on the food items along with the License Number issued to the said FBO.